Rineharts Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ivel

Getting ready to try my first Fountain Pen. I bought four rineharts. Anything magic I need to know?

Building in them for a show in September. I haven't "played" with a fountain pen in 45 years when I was a kid and I think I got my butt tore up for getting ink on everything.

Should I wait to install the ink? Seems like it would say out just sitting.

Thanks in advance, ivel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I recommend against putting ink in the pens. It will dry up and clog the feed and nib.

One thing you can do is dip the nib into a bottle of ink so you can write with it to see how smooth it is. Clean the ink off afterwards with fresh cool water -- maybe buy an ear syringe from a drug store to make flushing it easier.

bmachin

Ivel,

I have to disagree with Duncan here.

Dipping will tell you how the pen nib writes and whether it needs tuning (which is something that you should learn how to do and then perform on any fountain pen you sell) but it won't tell you whether or not the feed actually, you know, feeds. Sometimes, although it's rare, you can get a feed that won't deliver ink from the cartridge or converter to the nib. I have had this happen with factory fountain pens. Definitely not good for business.

I do agree, however: don't leave the pen inked--Flush it out.

If you're going to flush one out anyway, you might as well make sure everything works. I would use a flushing solution of 10% household ammonia and water.

Bill

duncsuss

Bill makes a good point.

Just don't leave ink in the pen once you've tested and verified it's working.

(Rather than waste an ink cartridge every time you make and test a pen, use a converter with some ink from a bottle.)

Dipping the nib is a way to let purchasers verify the nib writes as they like it at the point of sale -- you'll need a decent quality writing paper for this, my preference right now is Tomoe River paper, but Rhodia, Moleskine and Leuchterm are all good choices.

Have a cup of water on hand to rinse it off afterwards.

philipff

All good advise! I would only add that it seems to me that every time I need to start a new pen it loads ink better if I rinse the converter with a cleaning solution, then water before adding the first load of ink. -- mu 2 cents P.

ivel

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180726_231257.jpg
    IMG_20180726_231257.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_20180726_231306.jpg
    IMG_20180726_231306.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20180726_231322.jpg
    IMG_20180726_231322.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 457

ivel

Thanks, I can improve on the pen some but I thought it turned out pretty good. I had one of the trim rings on the body Bass ackwards and ruined one on the threaded inserts getting it out. Now I guess I have a parts bag. :mad:

Top Bottom