Replacing nibs on Fountain pen kits - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Fountain Pens
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Fountain Pens The unique aspects of making, using, and selling fountain pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Replacing nibs on Fountain pen kits

I'm new to pen turning and turning in general, but I got into pen turning and enjoy it a lot. I want to start making fountain pens but I'm not sure how great the nibs are. Am I able to replace the nib and how do I found what nibs are compatible with the pen kit I want? This is the pen kit that I like - https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKEL2F2.html

Thank you in advance
- Sebastian
Sebrich is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 14

I think these ones (column on the right) would fit, drop a word to make sure : Size 5 Bock Nibs
Most of the time, you will still have to adjust the tines and maybe hone it a bit. But it will be nothing compared to adjusting a standard IPG nib.
Pierre--- is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 41

Welcome to IAP, Sebastian !!!!

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Hi Sebastian,

First, welcome from Southern California!

The kit's specs show that it takes a #5 nib. The two nib sizes that I've come across are #5 and #6. #5 is the smaller of the two. Both #5 and #6 nibs are available is all sorts of materials with different platings.

I've swapped out the stock #5 medium point nibs on many fountain pens with #5 medium, fine and extra fine nibs that I've gotten from Classic Nib as well as Exotic Blanks.

The pen I have with me today is a Gentleman's fountain pen where I swapped out the stock medium point nib with a #6 Bock fine point nib.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolie View Post
Hi Sebastian,

First, welcome from Southern California!

The kit's specs show that it takes a #5 nib. The two nib sizes that I've come across are #5 and #6. #5 is the smaller of the two. Both #5 and #6 nibs are available is all sorts of materials with different platings.

I've swapped out the stock #5 medium point nibs on many fountain pens with #5 medium, fine and extra fine nibs that I've gotten from Classic Nib as well as Exotic Blanks.

The pen I have with me today is a Gentleman's fountain pen where I swapped out the stock medium point nib with a #6 Bock fine point nib.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. What do you prefer more Classic Nib or Exotic Blanks?
Sebrich is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebrich View Post
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. What do you prefer more Classic Nib or Exotic Blanks?
Glad I could help. Both vendors are quite good, and I order from both. Classic Nib has a few more nib options available, however.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 7

The Elite 2 is a decent writing instrument ... I've made 2 of them, and found that they both wrote satisfactorily right after completion, with no real adjustments being needed. I haven't sold either, as the people in my area just aren't impressed with all the plastic parts.... they want metal!

I find, however, that the price point for these lower end fountain pens from PSI are really nice. If they could find a middle ground, incorporating all metal parts with the styling of the lower end kits and reach a compromise on price, say 20 dollars a kit? I'ld certainly buy, and told Levi that myself. :)

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads