Questions on whether or not to make a fountain pen - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Fountain Pens
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Fountain Pens The unique aspects of making, using, and selling fountain pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I will just echo what Ed said. If your only going to show a few pens, and fancier is better, were talking art gallery fancy, I would go straight to the Majestic Jr in rhodium and gold. Yes it is a 50 dollar kit, but, with a extremely nice blank, this easily presents as a 400.00 dollar pen. It comes in both fountain, and Roller Ball. Make one of each. Then make two Cambridge kits in sliver with gold accents, one in Fountain, one in Roller ball. List these at 300.00 each. Make sure you use an extremely nice blank, like Ed said. Don't go cheap on the blank, it makes the pen. You are making a one of a kind. Make it look like it.

The 400.00 pens will sell the 300.00 pens, and the person who has to have the best of the best, will buy the 400.00 pen.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Personal opinion, Stephen Brown is an excellent choice but his audience is the fountain pen community that has at least the basic down. For some ground level basic knowledge on what a fountain pen is and how to use and care for the check out the "Fountain Pen 101" in the blog over at www.gouletpens.com.

Excellent series but watch you wallet if you stray from the blog and look at any of his ink or paper.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 3

My "two cents" based on a year working markets (at least 2 each month for the past 12 months). If you're going to be in attendance and working with the clients then I would suggest getting know more about fountain pens. They are by far my best selling pens at the markets I attend. I starting turning them because I've always owned one but never really knew what it was to "own" a fountain pen until I started selling them.

I've been lucky and only had one "pushy" client that basically told me I didn't know enough about the pens I was selling since I couldn't answer the questions he had about he nibs on the pens. I very quickly started educating myself on fountain pens including swapping out nibs, maintenance, nib types, etc.

This was only 1 client - who has since come back to my booth a few times now and we discuss various fountain pen related things and he has even helped with my education after our first encounter - but I would take the advice of those above that recommend working with a convertible pen to start with until you can get at least the basics of fountain pens under your belt.
knotandburl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I've made several modern fountain pen kits that are so bad to write with they are in their own little bowl and are never used.
If you want to learn something about fountain pens find someone who will let you write with one of the pre WWII pens with a gold nib. I have a Waterman (Pre WWII) that is so nice to write with that I doubt anything made in the last 40 years will compare to it, short of a handmade or highly tuned nib. It flexes to produce calligraphy style letters if you wish.
Logged on members can hide ads