Parker Duofold section to body threads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Sorry, I don't -- but I have a Duofold (Centennial? International? Not sure what the exact name of this model is).

I doubt that I'd be able to read the pitch with sufficient accuracy to create a barrel that the section would fit, but I'll take a look. Might be a day or two before I get to it.

Meantime -- you could check out www.FountainPenNetwork.com to see if the question has already been asked & answered there.

stuckinohio

That would be awesome! I have searched fountain pen network to no avail. I have someone that will supply me with the section, but I don't have it so I can't measure the pitch unfortunately.

No rush of course. Thank you.

stuckinohio

Sorry, I don't -- but I have a Duofold (Centennial? International? Not sure what the exact name of this model is).

I doubt that I'd be able to read the pitch with sufficient accuracy to create a barrel that the section would fit, but I'll take a look. Might be a day or two before I get to it.

Meantime -- you could check out www.FountainPenNetwork.com to see if the question has already been asked & answered there.

Well, I became a member of the fountain pen network and found that the thread pitch is most likely .75 and the thread is either 8.5 or 9, so that is easy and cheap to try at least. I might even have both dies.

duncsuss

Glad you posted, I'd forgotten. Here's what I find when I measure mine:

The diameter of the un-threaded portion behind the threads (which looks the same as the major diameter of the threads) is 8.72mm (0.343", 11/32")

The diameter of portion which slips through the barrel threads (which looks the same as the minor diameter of the threads) is 8.06mm (0.317", 41/128").

Attempting to line up the peaks of my M9 x 0.75 tap with the valleys in the section, it looks like 0.75 is a very close match. My eyes (even with a x10 visor on) aren't good enough for me to say if it's an exact match.

If this really is a metric tap. I'd be inclined to guess at M 8.75 x 0.75.

HTH

stuckinohio

Well then, I will get the 8.75 x .75 and the 8.5 x .75 if I don't already have it and try both!

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

stuckinohio

Thank you Bill.

It's an interesting option, particularly since the bock #5 housing is so picky. I expected them to be Ebonite though! But, the plating options are very nice.

duncsuss

I know what you mean about the Bock #5 -- I just got through making one and it's right on the cusp of having to start over because the housing only just locks in place.

They are such close tolerances, I sometimes amaze myself that I'm able to make them with a wood lathe :biggrin:

That said -- I still wouldn't buy a ready made section and claim to have built a kitless pen.

bmachin

Not a big fan of metal grip sections myself. Also look to be a little on the long side which limits your design options. I guess, all things considered, I'd just as soon make my own.

Maybe if you switched to Jowo life would be better. I've done so, but can't say for sure since it's been a while since I've done a #5.

They are nicely done though.

Bill

Last edited:

duncsuss

Maybe if you switched to Jowo life would be better. I've done so, but can't say for sure since it's been a while since I've done a #5.

For the most part, I have switched to JoWo, but the client requested a gold nib. MeisterNibs doesn't have gold JoWo #5 nibs listed, so I went to Beaufort for a Bock #5 14K.

You've Hijacked your own thread!!:biggrin:

To be fair, we've been helping ... :biggrin:

you can make your own section from black ebonite, or acrylic, have even used juma or derlin before , it's probally easier then trying to fit a proprietary section and a lot cheaper as your going to burn through a few try's before get the fit right , can but taps for jowo 5's or 6's from http://edisonpen.com/fountain-nibs-2 for material lots of places to get rod, have even bough from pool cue making suppliers https://www.cuestik.com/store/?DEPARTMENT_ID=231

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stuckinohio

I currently make sections out of all types of material and have taps for #5 and #6 bock and jowo as well as the full compliment of triple start taps and dies.

I've never used a Parker Duofold, but it seems that many people feel the nib is very special. A lot of people won't use bock and jowo nibs at all. The following for "fantasy" duofolds is quite impressive. They want the writing experience but prefer a particular material or design it seems.

you can make your own section from black ebonite, or acrylic, have even used juma or derlin before , it's probally easier then trying to fit a proprietary section and a lot cheaper as your going to burn through a few try's before get the fit right , can but taps for jowo 5's or 6's from Edison Pen Co – Fountain Nibs for material lots of places to get rod, have even bough from pool cue making suppliers https://www.cuestik.com/store/?DEPARTMENT_ID=231

jalbert

I currently make sections out of all types of material and have taps for #5 and #6 bock and jowo as well as the full compliment of triple start taps and dies.

I've never used a Parker Duofold, but it seems that many people feel the nib is very special. A lot of people won't use bock and jowo nibs at all. The following for "fantasy" duofolds is quite impressive. They want the writing experience but prefer a particular material or design it seems.

you can make your own section from black ebonite, or acrylic, have even used juma or derlin before , it's probally easier then trying to fit a proprietary section and a lot cheaper as your going to burn through a few try's before get the fit right , can but taps for jowo 5's or 6's from Edison Pen Co – Fountain Nibs for material lots of places to get rod, have even bough from pool cue making suppliers https://www.cuestik.com/store/?DEPARTMENT_ID=231

True that. Once you move into that echelon of pen turning, you get some crazy requests. I could make an album with all the "fantasy" and tribute pens I've done.

Top Bottom