Orion fountain pen problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

I just finished an Orion fountain pen - first fountain pen I have had in my hand in over fifty years. I tried to pull out the nib and feed and could bnot get it to budge. The fellow I talked to at Woodturningz said it was not removable and he had never heard of anyone changing the nib on a kit pen.
Well, skeptic that I am, that makes no sense to me at all, so I am asking the experts. If I drop this thing on it's nib and need to change it, or if I just need to clean it (which I do), shouldn't I be able to pull it out?
If my old fingers are not strong enough to get it out, can I clamp the pliers on the nib without destroying the feed, or should I replace both?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rchan63

They will pull out, sometime you need to wiggle them a bit. I wouldn't use clamps or pliers that would most likely damage the feed. Put on a pair of latex glove or something simular for better grip. IMHO I don't think you need to replace the feed.

But one word of caution.. worry more about the female threads inside the cap. I sold 4 last year during xmas and all four came back for repair with the same problem.

Stephen

They will pull out, sometime you need to wiggle them a bit. I wouldn't use clamps or pliers that would most likely damage the feed. Put on a pair of latex glove or something simular for better grip. IMHO I don't think you need to replace the feed.

But one word of caution.. worry more about the female threads inside the cap. I sold 4 last year during xmas and all four came back for repair with the same problem.

How was it fixed? Replacement? Can you purchase a replacement.
Sorry too many questions as I have gone into this kit recently and wondering if wax would help.
Thanks

Kendallqn

I'd like to know that as well. I just turned a couple of these and noticed the threads are a bit rough. Can that be fixed or smoothed out

Stephen

I'd like to know that as well. I just turned a couple of these and noticed the threads are a bit rough. Can that be fixed or smoothed out

Yes, I too noticed the rough threads. Therefore, I would not sell them. Wax did not help. I hope the vendor of these kits will look into this problem and replace the defective parts with improved parts.

Rchan63

I've talked with he vendor already and they denied any problems with the kit. But they did send replacment parts free of charge, I gusse kudos to them for doing their part. I've repaired the same pen with the same problem multiple of times.

As for removal of the female thread, I used the Harbor Freight transfer punch. First I remove the clip and then the thread.

BSea

This happened to me too on 1 pen. I really like the Orion because of how much blank it shows, but I think I'm through with them. I do buy the replacement tubes though. The longer tubes are great for a closed end Jr Gent 1, Baron, etc.

Best way I have found to fix an Orion is to drop it in the first trash bin you find and use the blank you were going to use on it for a Atrax kit. About the same money but 100% better.
I just wish the finial could be modified. I prefer to customize my finials, and the solid metal cap of the Atrax doesn't work for me. Plus the Atrax is a bit bigger. Not a bad thing, it fact it's a plus for most people, but if someone wants a smaller pen, then it's the Baron sized pens. Anbd other than a Jr Gent 1, everything I can find is at least 20% more unless they are bought in volume.

Stephen

I've talked with he vendor already and they denied any problems with the kit. But they did send replacment parts free of charge, I gusse kudos to them for doing their part. I've repaired the same pen with the same problem multiple of times.

Replacing the defective parts with another defective part is not the solution. From what I understand from this forum this problem has been known for about a year and yet they are still being offered for sale without modifying the kit.

I have purchased and completed 10 kits and will not sell them with this problem.

RDH79

Wish I would have seen this post before I ordered.
I too tried to get the nib out and couldnt so I call woodturningz.
He didnt mention anything about there being any problems and acted like he didnt know if the nib came out or not.
He did say if I tried and messed it up he would replace the nib section.
I know his name and should call back and corner him on this but they just lost a customer.
Dont lie if there is a problem.
Bad thing is I told him I was thinking of ordering a larger quanity if The nib came out. And he would have let me.
Thanks to you guys I didnt make that mistake.

RDH79

Burlman no its a woodturningz exclusive.
Nice look to the pen but with all the complaints I am afraid to make alot.
I dont want problems down the road that I can not fix.

Last edited:

Rchan63

The Orion I have is removable, you'll have to grab it firmly pull and rock it back and forth. It is friction fit but very tight fiction fit.

RDH79

Have you had any problems with the threads. I am going to talk to Bryan this morning about the conversation with one of his employees I had yesterday.

Joe S.

I don't order from woodturningz for their kits anymore. I order for their fantastic wood blanks and as a means to get an occasional PSI kit.

Rchan63

Have you had any problems with the threads. I am going to talk to Bryan this morning about the conversation with one of his employees I had yesterday.

The thread in the cap keeps breaking. I bought 10 set sold 4 in one show and they all came back with the same problem. I don't sell or make those pens any longer. They all became my demo pens for nib upgrades.

Top Bottom