Nibs at high magnification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thought I would take some high magnification photos of 3 different medium point nibs. One of Lou's gold 18K one of Anthony's gold 14K and one steel from CSUSA. DISCLAIMER: There may be some anomalies in the photographs so please don't try to draw too many conclusions from these. I just thought it was interesting that the 2 gold nibs had a more round shape and that the steel nib was flatter on top.

Anyone know what a professionally ground version would look like under magnification? Do you want to smooth the top flat or shape it with some curves on the edges?

200710905616_Nibs.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Okay, I had to post this pic. I put some pics on the thread nib grinding. But I finally found a use for those little magnifying circles on the magnifying glass.Here is a pic of some nibs I re ground "under magnification" :D

2007101019456_nib_mag.jpg

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Anthony - that's what I was asking. When you grind, it looks like you are just working on the bottom angle and not the general shape. My pictures are from the top down.

PenWorks

Bruce, it may not show it in the photo, but on this particular grind "cursive italic" I grind the top, sides, front and bottom of the nib.

Top Bottom