Nib difference

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have a customer that wants a fine nib in his fountain pen. All the stock nibs that I have that are marked say "M". The Heritance nibs I have I have are not marked. How can I tell if the Heritance nibs are medium or fine?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I think the only way to be sure would be to write with them and compare the lines. Even if someone were to tell you that the heritance nibs were "fine", they wouldn't necessarily produce a thinner line than your medium nibs. "Fine" and "Medium" are not precisely defined and implemented across nib sources.

Ink, writing style and paper will all have an impact on line size as well.

Ed

avbill

Monte, The Heritage nib I believe are flex nibs. medium only.

In glided gold from Bock 5mm there is fine and extra fine. In polished chrome there is only fine.

Bock 6mm guided gold there fine

I got these from Roy.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are both fine and medium, we have both, in the #5 nib.

Easiest way to give you, I used a micrometer and got .030, measuring side to side, for the fine and .038 for the medium. Gently!

Hope this helps,
Ed

Cwalker935

I have a customer that wants a fine nib in his fountain pen. All the stock nibs that I have that are marked say "M". The Heritance nibs I have I have are not marked. How can I tell if the Heritance nibs are medium or fine?

I traded out the original nib on a Majestic Junior pen with a fine point bock nib, it is a pen that I often carry. Roy (OKALAHOMAN) from the Classic Nib did a demo at last year's MAPG on changing out nibs, you might want to contact him directly.

Mr Vic

Might want to check with the customer on what pens he currently uses. A fine nib of European manufacture is not the same as one of Japanese manufacture. German nibs from medium down tend to be larger then a Japanese of the same size..

Top Bottom