My first Fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donwatson

I have just finished my first fountain pen. It was not without difficulty and there are a few things wrong with it but I will certainly be trying to make mo

Hope this is ok.

take care
Don W

Attachments

• pen pic 2b.jpg
    pen pic 2b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 273
  • pen pic 4b.jpg
    pen pic 4b.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Don; That looks great ! I hope it is the first of many that you will share with us. One tip. If you have a dark pen, use a lighter colored prop to hold it Clear acrylic or plastic, glass, a light colored wood, or no prop at all. You don't want something else drawing the eye away from the subject, or blending in with the object so it's hard to see were one stops and the other begins. Jim S

walshjp17

Great looking pen, Don. I really like the simplicity of the design - it oozes class!

If I may be so bold, is the pen from a kit or is it bespoke?

donwatson

Thanks Guys,
I appreciate your comments.
@walshjp17 this was a kit I purchased some years ago and I managed to finish the main body without any instructions but the top proved a problem and I had to purchase a new piece of 10mm brass tube and make a new top.
@plantman I was going to photograph this piece on the A4 sheet of white paper that the 'prop' is sitting on but I had been cutting some Elm Burr (Burl?) to make some more pens and these little pieces were left, so I thought I would pose the pen. I don't know where the blue comes from as I took the pic this morning out back in the garden. I may need to set the camera up properly.

take care
Don W

Gord K.

I really like the clean lines and simplicity of the finished pen. What kit was it and is that kit still available?

Thanks,

Gord

donwatson

Hi Chaps,
The wood was Wenge and I have finished the body and the top differently.
I took the body to a 1200 finish with micromesh and finished with friction polish.
The top was finished to 600 grit Abranet and finished with friction polish.
Close up the body is almost black and the top is still a dark brown.
The pen kit is unknown as the supplier no longer stocks them.

take care
Don W
PS As I had to turn the 2 pieces individually I may try and turn them on the centres next time

Top Bottom