Jr. Gent FP Issue - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Fountain Pens
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Fountain Pens The unique aspects of making, using, and selling fountain pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

The kits are shipped with that all assembled.

Why did you take it apart and why does the nib holder look blue? Heated??
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 58

Definetly looks like it's been heated. Has a nice blue tint to it.

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/KYLOGJAMMIN/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 127

I have never see a csusa fountain pen kit that had that metal ring on the black plastic nib holder. On every one I have or have made that black plastic part screws all the way into the metal section, until just the small lip at the end protrudes from the metal part. You might try removing that small metal ring and see how it goes together. I do know that there should not be that much black showing at the end, so unless you can either remove that ring, or press it on down almost all the way to the end it's probably not going to work for you. I don't know if that is a new product for them, or if you just got a defective section.
jskeen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 9

All,

Thanks for the replies and the help.

Ed, I didn't take it apart, it fell apart when a customer was looking at it.

Regarding the blue coloration, it's just a reflection of the tile the pen was resting on. It hasn't been heated and it's a nice shiny Rhodium surface.

With your comments, I pushed a little harder on the metallic ring you can see on the black plastic. It finally slipped down on the black plastic such that now more threads catch.

I hope this is the normal configuration. I'll take it to our Central Texas get together in a few weeks to get some first hand advice. Thanks everyone, this site and the people on it are the best!

John
http://custompenworksonline.com
jedgerton is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 105

I've never seen that silver ring on any of the CSUSA jr, fountain pens. The feed collar screws all the way into the metal housing, that silver ring would not allow the collar screw into the housing. See if you can remove it, Its been a while that I've made any Baron fountain pens but seems I remember them having a gold ring, just wondering if you might have mixed some barons parts with your jr. gent.

OKLAHOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Barons and JR. Gents ALMOST fit, too!!

Another thought, Roy!!!

But, if it came to you assembled and fell apart when someone picked it up----there IS a problem!!!

(that just ain't right!!)
Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
dow

Photos: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgerton View Post
Guys,

Sorry to keep you waiting on the picture. Below is a close up and what I think is the problem is the threads on the plastic part in the middle of the photo barely catch in the metallic barrel. I'm sure I don't know the correct names of the various pieces parts but at least I didn't use "thingy".

So what do you think?

John
John, I wonder if you've got more going on there than just an extra little ring. That doesn't even look like a Jr. Gent housing. Here's a picture of my pen. Notice that at the end of the housing, there are two grooves that run around it and then there's a raised ring or shoulder right at the end where the feed assembly sticks out. Yours doesn't have that shoulder, and mine doesn't have the extra ring.

I've never made a Baron, so I can't speak to the way they're built, but I think that, at least from what I've read so far, I tend to agree with Roy. I think that maybe the parts got mixed up somehow. Do you have any other fountain pens? Is it possible that someone else was "looking to see how they work" and got them put back together before you noticed but they did it wrong?

Last edited by dow; 04-29-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Continuing in the never-ending search for clarity. :)
dow is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Gotta agree, the section doesn't match the CSUSA Jr. series pens, the nib doesn't match (always been two tone to my knowledge, and now say Dayacom). That looks more like the nib on the cheap Euro Fountain kits from Berea.

I have left the IAP. If you wish to contact, use the email a member feature. I don't log in to see PMs any longer.
Russianwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads