FP material preference

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I made two pens from Black Walnut for my wife's aunt and uncle who had owned the tree the wood came from and that's all, and I've never had a request for a walnut pen. Only ever had one request for Maple, but I do usually have one or two spalted maple pens on hand. Looking back at the fountain pens I've sold, it's about 50/50 wood and plastic. I have one customer who buys quite a few pens and he only buys plastic and I have other customers who will only buy wood.

jeffj13

Based upon what I have read on other forums, true fountain pen users seem to not like wood. The argument I've heard is that they are afraid of dents (makes no sense to me as a plastic or acrylic pen can scratch just as easily).

For those that like wood pens, woods with character are the most popular, like amboyna, curly koa, olive wood, spalted woods, etc.

jeff

Texatdurango

Originally posted by jeffj13

Based upon what I have read on other forums, true fountain pen users seem to not like wood. The argument I've heard is that they are afraid of dents (makes no sense to me as a plastic or acrylic pen can scratch just as easily).

jeff
Jeff, Scratches and dents.... Big difference! Even with a nice CA finish, I have had a few wood pens dent. I have yet to have an acrylic pen dent therefore I am beginning to favor them for that, among other reasons.

alamocdc

I've had a number of requests for Walnut burl and one for Birdeye Maple. The vast majority usually just tell me they want a light, dark, or medium toned highly figured material.

ctwxlvr

Up date on materials,I have sold and style, IPE ti gold Churchill, IBO JR Statesman II Plat gold, BOW sterling silver Churchill, Purpleheart gold Churchill, and Grey speckled Corian Gold Spider Filigree Fountain pen.

redfishsc

I have one customer in particular that is just plain crazy over curly walnut (see the lousy pic below). So far he has bought three of the exact same pen to give away as gifts. I am glad I have a plenty of those blanks.

curly_walnut_gent_Tigold.JPG

curly_walnut_gent_TIgold2.JPG

That being said, most of my customers tend to really like the Trustone and the more vivid, striking acrylic/PR resins.

I am partial to the latter myself. I have a trustone turquoise and a white turquoise that I love (Jr Gent II and Sedona).

RogerGarrett

The top selling fountain pens for me have been in the following order:

Jr. Gent II with Ambonya Burl
Jr. Gent II with Rosewood Burl
Churchill with Desert Ironwood

These average about $110.00 each.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Top Bottom