Fountain Pen Kit Recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mharvey

I just turned a FP from Woodturningz....the classic...looks nice..but it has plastic threads...just will not last...already chewed up.

What is teh recommendation for a cost effective FP that has both ended threads...cap will thread on...that is not godly expensive..

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, nearly all kits have plastic threads, in at least the cap.

So, if you really mean you want metal on metal, there are a few choices. Berea makes the "new series" fountain and rollerball. Metal threads on the centerband, as well as both the nib end and "posting' end.

IF this is what you mean, we can look for others--CSUSA had one they called the executive and president (2 models of same pen). All of these are in the neighborhood of $10, about half the cost of the Jr. Gent, which does have plastic threads in the cap.

plantman

Mark; If you want something in the middle. PSI has the Vertex Supreme. It has metal threads on both ends and the middle couplers. This makes it possable to change the orientation of your lower blank by just unscrewing the ends. This feature is handy when you display your pen weather in the open or in the closed position. Sells for $14.95-16.95. Jim S

its_virgil

Personally I don't like metal on metal threads. My experience is the cap tends to come lose when both sets of threads are metal. I much more prefer the cap insert in plastic used in the Jr Gent II as has been mentioned. Many of the pens in the Jr Gent II price range have the plastic insert in the cap CB/coupler. I have several Jr gent I's, jr gent II's and barons that have been in use for several years with no problems.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

OKLAHOMAN

All the male threads on the Jr. Gent ll are metal and yes the female are plastic . The plastic female thread do not show and are for a better grip to the male metal threads, I do NOT reccommend metal to metal on most of our kits as they tend to unscrew by them self in your pocket, your wifes purce and you'll have ink ...well all over.

MTViper

I'd made just about every fountain pen kit I can find. I like Classic Elite II from PSI and Churchill from Berea (via Bear Tooth Woods). Vertex Supreme is a great writing pen, and it's magnetic so there are no threads to worry about.

dwane779

There is a pen turner selling on Ebay pens labeled as CETI Series fountain pens. Anyone familiar with CETI?

kyaggie

There is a pen turner selling on Ebay pens labeled as CETI Series fountain pens. Anyone familiar with CETI?

I think that is her own name for that pen model. In looking at some of her feedback she sold a Centauri Series fountain pen and the pen is a PSI Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre kit.

Mike

JD Combs Sr

Personally I don't like metal on metal threads. My experience is the cap tends to come lose when both sets of threads are metal. I much more prefer the cap insert in plastic used in the Jr Gent II as has been mentioned. Many of the pens in the Jr Gent II price range have the plastic insert in the cap CB/coupler. I have several Jr gent I's, jr gent II's and barons that have been in use for several years with no problems.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Another issue with the metal on metal is scratches. If you aren't careful when posting the cap it will scratch the finish on the mating part. DAMHIKT Plastic or plastic like material is the way to go inside the cap.

Sub Vet 10

Is there one that's "female friendly"? Wife wants me to make one for her best friend but she wants one that is on the slimmer side and not "manly" like the Vertex.

Jgrden

Twenty seven dollars for a fountain pen kit?? I did not see the benefits supporting this price. Description of the nib. Description of the ink supply. Snap lid is "O" ring ??

marksman

Twenty seven dollars for a fountain pen kit?? I did not see the benefits supporting this price. Description of the nib. Description of the ink supply. Snap lid is "O" ring ??

Snap lid is NOT "O" ring. It ships with a Bock nib. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

seamus7227

I personally find the benefits of the marksman kits outweigh the plated components from "quality" alone. You get what you pay for, and with the marksman kits, yeah they may cost a little more, but you don't have to worry about the stupid plating rubbing off over time. And they are Made in the USA! .......but, we all have our own opinions don't we?!

I'm really looking forward to putting together the latest Fountain pen that marksman has come out with!

The Jr. Gent 2 is by far my favorite hardware. I also use the Atrax a lot. Same tubes and bushings. Jr. Statesman and Venus also use exactly the same. The Triton uses the same bushings but the lower tube is a bit shorter than the others. I have used this when I have had a miss cut or blowout to save a blank. So with this same tube and bushing combination you can cover everything from about $9 up to almost $50 for a hardware price. I order lots of these and really like them very versatile.

The Atrax has quickly become my daily carry FP...Cant beat the looks of a Marksman with the price of a Jr. Gent 2..give them a try Exotic carries them in all the finishes

BarbS

The Tycoon from PSI is a favorite of mine. The gold plating is epoxied and guaranteed for life. It's a relatively slim version and quite good looking, I think.

Attachments

• FntnPensOpen3 copy.jpg
    FntnPensOpen3 copy.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 235
Surprised nobody mentioned the Hancock. Constant Laubscher (Lazerlinez.com) makes it, although I couldn't find it there. They sell at Woodcraft (about $30/kit, I believe). NOT plated - 100% stainless and US made. I've done a couple and I'm a real fan!

Lazerlinez also makes the "Optimus" in a FP. I think it, too, is metal on metal threading.

dgerwin11

Slim Fountain Pens

I posted a picture of a PSI Classic fountain pen with briar barrel on a pipe smoker forum. One of the members asked if there is such a thing as a Slim Line fountain pen. I have never heard of such an animal. Has anyone?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well it is made in the USA (except for the Bock Nib) not China (either version)

sschering

The only FP kit I've done is the Virage from Exotic blanks.
It's a nice kit for $10. Postable with Plastic threads inside the cap.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I posted a picture of a PSI Classic fountain pen with briar barrel on a pipe smoker forum. One of the members asked if there is such a thing as a Slim Line fountain pen. I have never heard of such an animal. Has anyone?
I don't think so..the tube is too small to fit cartridges or converters in.

Top Bottom