fountain pen for daily and everyday use

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hiharry626

Is there a type of fountain pen that's used for everyday use? For notes and schoolwork. I have a lami safari pen which was given to me by EBorraga, many thanks! But the ink ran out quite quickly and I do not want to keep buying ink cartridges for it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Is there a type of fountain pen that's used for everyday use? For notes and schoolwork. I have a lami safari pen which was given to me by EBorraga, many thanks! But the ink ran out quite quickly and I do not want to keep buying ink cartridges for it.

I have a Lami Safari that uses a CONVERTER and just "suck" up ink from a bottle. Very economical. If you use cartridges and wish to cut costs down, you can purchase a syringe and refill your cartidges. With a little bit of patience you do not have to create a "mess".:eek:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam

wood-of-1kind

I have a Lami Safari
Hi Peter; Kindly tell more about the Lami, like where can I get it?

Anthony (PenWorks) offered these for sale and I'm sure that he still does. It's a great little writer and excellent value for the money. The nib performs as well as well as any "high" priced pen.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The Lamy Safari has a fantastic writing nib. I use a converter in mine when I use it so I can go the bottled ink route. Some day I have to make my own body / cap and transfer the nib / feed / section to that.

One nice thing is that the nib is easily swappable between feeds so you can easily alter from xf through broad.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader

I have a Lami Safari
Hi Peter; Kindly tell more about the Lami, like where can I get it?

http://www.joonpens.com/Lamy_Safari Collection_pens

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/

http://www.artbrown.com/Safari-Vista-All-Star-PUR-Noto-Joy-C606.aspx

terryf

I use a Waterman Phileas FP and BP for daily use and I cant say a bad thing about them.
Bit more expensive than the Lamy but I honestly prefer the Waterman :)

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I use a Waterman Phileas FP and BP for daily use and I cant say a bad thing about them.
Bit more expensive than the Lamy but I honestly prefer the Waterman :)

I have a Phileas FP as well, and they certainly look nicer and write quite well. Since I like XF nibs, I prefer the Lamy. If you are happier with wider nibs, the Phileas is great too.

juteck

I have a Lamy as well, but find the nib a little more scratchy than the kit nib that came with my Berea roundtop fountain pen, although I do use my Lamy alongside my Berea roundtop on a daily basis. That aside, I agree with others that a converter is a much better way to go than cartridges. The Lamy converter will run you about $5, and is worth the extra investment.

To learn more about different inks and see color reviews, I'd suggest looking at the Fountain Pen Network forum, and look under "Inky Thoughts" and "Ink Reviews" for more information that you can absorb in one sitting! Another great place for ink and pen reviews is from the "Spiritual Evolution of the Bean" blog, many of which you will find also posted at the Fountain Pen Network.

A couple of vendors also provide ink samples for purchase that makes it a little easier to find the color and brand you like. Pear Tree Pens and The Goulet Pen Co. both offer these ink samples. Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens is also an IAP Member (IAP screen name "GouletPens"), and has a blog called "Ink Nouveau" that also offers ink reviews, etc. I've ordered from both Pear Tree Pens and Goulet Pens, have had excellent service, and would order from both again.

edit: Pear Tree Pens also offers the Lamy Converter: http://www.peartreepens.com/Lamy-Converter-Z24-p/lz24.htm

Last edited:

bitshird

I use my Baron with the "El cheapo" IPG nib and have used it for 2-1/2 years, it lays a nice line, not particularly wet, doesn't use a lot of ink. I also have a Parker 51 that I keep enshrined and use once in a blue moon it lays a wetter line than my Baron kit pen. I've heard nothing but good things about the Lamy Safari, and with an ink like Private Reserve and a converter it should give plenty of writing time.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'm a little confused as to why a penmaker would use anything other than a pen he or she made. My daily writer is a Jr. Gent, Black ti fountain pen with Heritance nib wrapped in some of Curtis' worthless wood. No only is it a great pen, but when I pull it out people notice it, ask about it, and then look at all my other pens. Made some sales that way.

ldb2000

The biggest problems with using a nice pen in school is that they draw attention , then that beautiful pen becomes lost . I make a custom pen for my kids every year at the start of school and within the first couple of months they are stolen or broken by someone who just has to see the cool pen . I gave my one son a Parker 45 last year and he still has it and uses it . the Parker is a wonderful writing pen , uses the large parker cartridges or converter and is a plain looking pen that takes a beating and continues to write perfectly . That would be my advice on a great School pen , get a Parker 45 . They can be bought on ebay for under $20 new in box or from some pen sellers on the net for under $30 new in box .

PenWorks

As stated, buy a converter for your Lamy. They are a great carry pen and good for note taking as it is probablly one of the lightest pens out there and vertually indistructable unless you drop it on the nib. I keep 5 of them inked all the time. I can blow through a full converter in a day with my 1.5 nib.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I'm a little confused as to why a penmaker would use anything other than a pen he or she made. My daily writer is a Jr. Gent, Black ti fountain pen with Heritance nib wrapped in some of Curtis' worthless wood. No only is it a great pen, but when I pull it out people notice it, ask about it, and then look at all my other pens. Made some sales that way.

I have yet to find any nib that writes as nice as my Sailor 1911.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well for the price difference, i'll stick with my Lamy Safari Allstar:wink:. I also have a yellow Sailor 1911 that I love.

Top Bottom