Flex Nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alexkuzn

Hello guys, this is Alex's 15 year old son. I have made the dubious decision to thusforth commence my quest for the Excalibur of nibs, the flex nib. :biggrin: If any of you know where I can buy one, or how I can modify a Heritage semi-flex nib to produce the exquisite line variation as seen in the below video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8c2ZMsK8U

Thanks,
-Daniel

Last edited:

bgray

Thanks for the referral, Lou, but honestly you just can't get this kind of flex out of a modern #6 nib.

A modern #6 nib can get as fine as you want me to grind it (unflexed), but the flexed stroke really cannot get much more than about 1.5 - 2 mm.

I'm guessing that his flexed stroke in the video is getting to about 2.5 - 3 mm.

I can get close to that, but modern #6 nibs just don't have the tine length to really do this.

You really need to get vintage to get this. Swans, Watermans, Mabie's, etc.

They just don't make these anymore.

Dan_F

Wet noodles were more common prior to 1930 or so. They usually command a premium if the seller knows what he has. It can be cheaper to pay this for a known nib than to buy off ebay and hope that it has a lot of flex. Flex nibs come in a full range from semi to full flex, with the noodle the most flexible.

Dan

Top Bottom