First time fountain pen attempt question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

james1725

Could someone point me in the right direction of a fountain pen kit that would be fairly easy for a somewhat beginner? I tried a Artisan signature kit awhile back (the one where you have to cut a notch) It didn't come out great because of the plastic tip holder.

I guess this is actually a second attempt if you count that one

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

magpens

The fountain pen kit that I started with is the El Grande (bought from BearToothWoods). . Very straight forward kit. . Cost about $12

Last edited:

Skie_M

My first fountain pen was the Olympian Elite II from PSI ... cost was only 12 dollars. The price was attractive enough for me to give it a go without a whole lot of worry, as I was already making the Bolt Action Deer Hunter pen kits at 18 dollars apiece without a problem.

My one issue with these pens though, is that they ARE made with a lot of plastic parts, and many of the people around here see plastic and think it's cheaply made... the cap posts on the end of the pen through friction fit rather than threads, but looks to be thick enough to last at least 5 - 10 years ... I'll have to see just how long my Deer Antler pen lasts me.

mecompco

A chrome Atrax is only $12.95. The only plastic piece is the threaded insert that presses into the cap. It makes a really nice looking FP, and they seem to sell well. If you want the cap to be able to post, it is another $4.00 or so for the threaded (metal) end cap. Depending upon the blank, I have sold these for up to $100.00.

Last edited:

Wingsnthings

I started with PSI Classic Elite II. Female threaded insert in cap is plastic but it is smooth and stays tight in pocket.

corgicoupe

My suggestions cost more, but not more than the Jr Gents II [which I endorse]. If you have a Woodcraft store nearby, go look at the Navigator kit in sterling silver plate. It's a but smaller and very nice looking. The stainless steel kits from Lazerlinez use the same drills and bushings as the Jr Gents II, and you don't have to worry about the plating wearing through.

Mr Vic

The Baron/Navigator is also a good starter as is the Triton which is a bigger size. Name will depend on the source.

Would also depend on making it for yourself or as a sale/gift.

Top Bottom