El Grande Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

I turned the barrels and assembled an El Grande fountain pen. The cap prevents the nib assembly entering fully when capping the pen, as there is interference between the fountain pen nib assembly (Ref.N in the instructions sheet ) and the Centre ring (Ref.G in the instructions sheet). Sorry unable to copy the parts from the instructions.
I tried with these same parts as received from a second kit and the nib assemby passes into center ring easily. However, the same problem appears when G is inserted into a bare tube. This was done to eliminate the possibility of glue inside the first turned barrel. Measurements of the outside diameter of the centre ring show it is over sized and when assembled in the tube it is compressed so much that it prevents the nib assembly from entering. I understand the requirement for interference fit but not to the extent it is.
I have reamed the I/D of the cap barrel tube after turning and finishing by sanding and also the O/D of the center ring and I/D behind the threads to be able to cap the pen. It is time consuming and frustrating.
Have others experienced this with the El Grande fountain pens and how was it solved?
Your experience will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_1577 resized a.jpg
    IMG_1577 resized a.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 324

its_virgil

The white tube that came over the nib is NOT used for the completed pen. It is protective packaging only and is removed and discarded. Some fountain pen kits use it and others do not.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I've done a lot of these, and haven't run into this issue. Can you post a few pics of the pieces?

Please see pics.
Thanks

Stephen

The white tube that came over the nib is NOT used for the completed pen. It is protective packaging only and is removed and discarded. Some fountain pen kits use it and others do not.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks Don,
My photo is poor. The white tube is the brass tube. My photo shows the nib as white also. I think the brass tube may be the wrong size. I have used up the tubes - the tube in the photo has been sanded down (I/D) so unable to check the dimensions.
Will order a new kit and take all dimensions to get to the bottom of this problem.

its_virgil

Is the kit a standard El Grande or the Streamline El Grande?
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks Don,
My photo is poor. The white tube is the brass tube. My photo shows the nib as white also. I think the brass tube may be the wrong size. I have used up the tubes - the tube in the photo has been sanded down (I/D) so unable to check the dimensions.
Will order a new kit and take all dimensions to get to the bottom of this problem.

Top Bottom