Baron Fountain Pen nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Can the Baron nib be replaced by twisting/rocking it out of the section or is it permanent? I would like to replace the nib with a wider nib....any suggestions on brand of nib? Thanks Darrell Eisner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Darrell, have not done one recently, but have stuck Heritance nib into barons in the past. Do not remember any thing unusual in the process.

scotian12

Thank you all for your replies. I can get the gold and chrome kit nibs to pull out. However, the black Baron kit defies brute strength. However, with some interchange between the kits I can accomplishes my goal of changing the nib. Thanks for your sage advice. Darrell

keithncsu

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question! Is it standard knowledge/safe to assume that the fountain pen kits are all like this? Or is it a veteran knowledge, learn as you go, don't ask me how I know this type situation. For instance, I made one of the American Patriot kits and wanted to play around with other nib styles. Can I just swap them out and play around?

Mr Vic

When you say a wider nib you are referring to tip size? I think the Baron is one of the few that still has a #5 nib instead of the now more common #6. You can also soak in some luke warm water to help loosen it up. A piece of rubber such as a jar opener assist will also help.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question! Is it standard knowledge/safe to assume that the fountain pen kits are all like this? Or is it a veteran knowledge, learn as you go, don't ask me how I know this type situation. For instance, I made one of the American Patriot kits and wanted to play around with other nib styles. Can I just swap them out and play around?

If you own the kit, you own the right to break it. How else will you learn??

I broke dozens of kits, components, etc. It was no where near as costly as going to college (yes, I graduated) and I learned a lot more useful "stuff".

IF you try to take the pen apart and you don't succeed, you are unlikely to break anything in the nib section, as long as you don't use tools (pliers!!!)

bmachin

Mr Vic is right. Heat is be your friend. Warm water, warm air--no heat guns, no hair dryers on high. Heat a little, wiggle and twist a little, repeat with a little more force until things loosen up.

Bill

Top Bottom