Arthritic hands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have a customer, a Graphic Artist, who has developed Arthritis and has difficulty gripping a 'normal' pen. He has asked me to come up with a solution. I am not sure if this will be a roller ball or fountain. Has anybody had experience of such a pen.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Typically, the larger diameter, the easier it will be to hold. Also, lighter weight will probably be more comfortable for them.

robutacion

I wouldn't recommend Fountains for this application, a roller ball with a quality cartridge/refill is easier to handle...!

Those pens have typically 2 bulges and a valley, as the fingers need to have that sort of support as there is not much "grip" on a arthritis sufferer hand(s).

I don't know if there is any info on the IAP library on this issue but I know a place where, a few people have produced pens for this purpose, with lots of info and pics attached, and that place is the Australian Wood-workers forum Woodwork Forums

Do a search in there also, and see what you get..!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

allisnut

I made these for a pencil artist with arthiritis last year. i also made a similar shape out of one piece of cocobolo with an 8mm tube through it. It was a perfect fit for his ebony sketch pencils. The juniper pencil was actually an egg shaped ornament I had at a craft show. He held it, and asked me to make a pencil out of it.

DSCN1434.jpg

DSCN1433.jpg

Jim Burr

Banned
CSUSA and I'm sure others have a Sketch artist pencil that is pretty beefy...might do the trick

duncsuss

Have you researched this question via the arthritis support organisations/foundations?

They might have examples of products that are designed and proven to help.

watch_art

I've made several fountain pens for people with arthritis and they are very happy. Larger diameter and light weight.

These all have 5/8" thick cap/barrel threads.

img_3307.jpg

00939.jpg

01511.jpg

Tortoise

I wouldn't recommend Fountains for this application, a roller ball with a quality cartridge/refill is easier to handle...!
Cheers
George

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and fountain pens are much easier for me to write with than rollerballs or ballpoints. Fountain pens require almost no pressure to put ink to paper, while rollerballs & ballpoints take a good bit more force. A properly flowing fountain pen nib just skates across the page.

Top Bottom