Ugly Pen Contest - POST ENTRIES HERE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papabear

I tried to make a pen for my sister without a closed end mandrel. I call it the Milk Bottle Pen. She has MS so it had to be HUGE as she can't close her hand very much. Its a slimline kit. Its a bit over 3/4" around and almost 6" long. I'd say it's definetly in the ugly category

200712502_Milk_Bottle_Pen.jpg

2007125016_Milk_Bottle_Pen_Oops.jpg

M

Mudder

When a pen is that big I don't think you should use the term "slim" ;)

Scott

Man! That IS a contender! I do like the stylish "gripping finial" on the closed end! That almost puts this in the category of "dangerous weapon" doesn't it? [8D]

Scott.

strick242

UglyPen1.jpg

UglyPen2.jpg

This is a case of "What was I thinking?"!!!
Seriously, this was my first and only attempt at using a cartridge. It's a .223 Remington on a slimline kit. I think the wood was black walnut with some sapwood?? [B)]

OKLAHOMAN

Troy when I 1st. saw it I thought it was a rolling pin
Originally posted by Papabear

I tried to make a pen for my sister without a closed end mandrel. I call it the Milk Bottle Pen. She has MS so it had to be HUGE as she can't close her hand very much. Its a slimline kit. Its a bit over 3/4" around and almost 6" long. I'd say it's definetly in the ugly category

Papabear

well, my sister can barely close her hand and I thought you know there have to be others like her, so I thought I would try it for an xmas present and if it worked well make a little niche' for myself. But alas I still have to perfect the technique. The good news is she says its a perfect fit! Very easy to write with and she said she knew the minute she saw it why I made it the way I did.

Scott

Hey Steven! Is that your "Ugly" pen? I think it's BEAUTIFUL! . . . (Not!) [}:)]

Ahhh, I can already feel all dignity slipping downhill in this contest! :D

Scott.

Ron Mc

Actually since I ate the Pickle pen I don't feel right submitting it.
So I have another one in mind that I have made that should fit one of the categories.

wood-of-1kind

Here's my entry into the PENUGLY WALL of SHAME. It displays all the features that I've been trying to avoid when crafting a pen. The list is endless but here goes...
1. scratched plating on nib, guess that Vicegrips should not be used as a 'gentle' removal tool
2. mismatched grain orientation. Horizontal lines on one half and solid vertical grain on the other half. Guys if you dress like I've dressed this pen, get help,NOW. Sorry, but even the finest tailor can not help with this poor styling
3 centreband blew out and was 'out of round' to begin with. I've tried adding a belt to the midsection but it doesn't help. Perhaps suspenders may do the trick
4 clip is a leftover from another <s>'dead specie'</s>pen. Don't ask, it just died in another life, OK.
5 Pen writes but has a tendency to <s>hick-up </s>er, I mean skip

I can usually come up with some redeeming qualities as to why I should keep a pen but this one has me stumped. I'm burying this one in the abyss in the hope of allowing 'it' to escape the annals (no not anal) although come to think of it, it, it does smell funny. No Docstram did not give me any of his 'stinky' wood for this pen. Seems that he gave it all away to Skye. Yah, sky, that's the ticket, throw 'it' in the sky and may it never land on earth again. May my pen soul be forgiven for creating such an ugly abortion.
-Peter-
20071315443_P1020001.jpg

2007131558_P1020003.jpg

Scott

Ooohhh, Peter! That is nasty! I think you're in the running!

Scott - Do you need to be the creator/maker of the pen? What? Are you ashamed or something? [8D] Yes, this should be a pen you made, or at least had a major part in "creating" it. Say, for instance, you make a "Mold" pen - well, you may not actually have made the mold, but you should at least be responsible for assembling it!

Julia - I think I set the deadline at Midnight (Eastern) on January 28th, with winners announced on the 31st. Here's a link to the rules:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20617

Scott.

Originally posted by Scott

Scott - Do you need to be the creator/maker of the pen? What? Are you ashamed or something? [8D] Yes, this should be a pen you made, or at least had a major part in "creating" it. Say, for instance, you make a "Mold" pen - well, you may not actually have made the mold, but you should at least be responsible for assembling it!

I didn't make this one, but I think it is fugly!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Man, I think you could add a leather strap to this thing and use it as a personal protection device....Sorta like a nightstick/pen combo.....It would go over big in the law enforcement community....
Originally posted by Papabear

Okay,

Here it is, the pen that I look at and cringe and say "What was I Thinking??"

It's a slim line I made 7 years ago.. At the time I thought "More was better"...so I took a purple acrylic blank and bonded a semi transparent shirt button to it, drilled it and some how cracked the acrylic, you can still see and "Feel" the crack and even the 120 grit sanding marks are still winess to my great skills left on the purple top.[:0]

20071318335_IMG_7664.jpg

Then for the WOW appeal I took a piece of speckled Corion (ohhhh Corion) and attached a bit of cocobolo to it, notice the clean glue joint and seepage....and wow, hold your breath, how about that hardware fit!![:0][:0][:0]

200713183339_IMG_7665.jpg

This was my first Band-less slim line....the swerve curvy top combined with the ergonomic pen body and 4 part combinations always makes me think to myself, I should just throw it out!

Okay, I finally posted it....I have to go and take a shower....I Feel so Dirty....UGH!!![:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Scott

Originally posted by Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Penmonkey

Gosh Jim! That is gross!
And to think, you even kept it[:0]

Man, that's what I was thinking! You kept it! It just really screams at you, doesn't it? [:p]

Scott - if that pen is THAT ugly, we may have to see a picture of it, even if it doesn't qualify as YOUR entry! You wouldn't want to enter it for the person that DID make it, would you? [B)]

Has everybody noticed that we have PRIZES posted for this contest now??? Real prizes!!! We got to thinking "What would be an appropriate prize for an Ugly Pen Contest?" Well, some basic penturning instructional material, of course! [8D] Maybe then we could cure that Ugly Pen Habit for those who win!

Come on everybody! We've had some great entries so far, but I know you can do worse! Go out to your shop and drop something on the floor, or better, scrape something up off the floor, and make a pen! Unless you're like Jim and you keep your hideous mistakes forever! :D

Scott.

Ron Mc

OK....I have chosen the below pen and stand out of the multitudes for one of my ugly pen contest entries.
It will look familiar to some but rest assured it is not stabilized dog droppings!:D
DS1.jpg

DS2.jpg

I'll have a second for consideration when I can get some pictures.[:eek:)]

alamocdc

Closed end snap cap fountain pen. Looks nothing like what I had in my head. Couldn't even bear to show it to customers.

Oops, hit the wrong button and didn't get the photo in.

200713233559_10kFP_spaltedmaple_closedend.jpg

Firefyter-emt

Ok, some may not think it's ugly, but it's pushing the edge still the same. I will let the masses and judges decide if the oddness of this truly put's it into the running.

You see today I recieved my dip pen nib & holders from the group buy and then I just had this eggcelent thought!!

So I present to you, my eggcelent creation!!

Oh and yes, the nib does stay on the pen while in the holder and it does write. Rather well given the... ummmm, shape! :D well.. it's not a pickle!

eggcelent-1.jpg

eggcelent-2.jpg

chigdon

Wow Toni, that is really 'something'. I am sorry but I can hardly type due to me laughing over the feather on Toni's pen and Lee's "egg-cellent" pen. The egg pen is a cool idea in a way but the picture is killing me.

Snazzypens

Originally posted by chigdon

Wow Toni, that is really 'something'. I am sorry but I can hardly type due to me laughing over the feather on Toni's pen and Lee's "egg-cellent" pen. The egg pen is a cool idea in a way but the picture is killing me.

Well that a long story there was a joke put out that they wanted a pen with two beads, a captive ring, zebra and a feather on a bread roll, something fat and something thin. That was the creation of it..LOL
Toni

wudwrkr

Here's my first entry into the ugly pen contest:
Front side
20071453249_IMG_2876.jpg

Back side
2007145334_IMG_2879.jpg

First off, I think the black clip alone makes it the ugliest pen! Of course, my wife thinks it's cute so I promised to give it to her on our Anniversary. [:0]

PenWorks

Mike I must eggree with you.....that is ....
EGGstreamly EGGly :D

I was going to enter, but I can see by the entries,
this is some pretty stiff competion I would be up against [xx(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom