Trivia March 21

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

3 part question.

There is a wood out there somewhere with the common names "Oro" or "Adoum" among others. It has also been known as bark cloth tree.

What is the name of this wood and what is it's Botanical name and what family is it from?

As always one answer per customer[:p]
Include your IAP name with answer.

You can send your answers to:

wudnhed@gmail.com

Contest will end sometime this weekend.
Good Luck!

James Gillespie aka Draken is our big winner today.

CHENCHEN is the common name

Antiaris spp. (among others) is the Botanical name

Moraceae is the family

Congrats James, please email me your snail mail for you prize.

Thanks everyone for playing!

I can't figure out to post the link but it's the same one Dario posted in another thread EXOTIC WOODS something or other, help me out Dario.

BTW, if you got all or part of the answer right, you were thrown in the pot. James had all the answers right:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Originally posted by DocStram

Oki Doke Becca ... the winning entry is on it's way!

I'm guessing that Doc meant to say he sent in the "correct" answer?? As for the "winning" entry......sorry Doc.....wait til next time!!
200732215571_Rolling%20On%20The%20Floor%20Smiley.gif

[/img]

Randy_

Originally posted by Draken

No hint needed for this one, she gave more than enough info, one might say too much info.

I agree!! I think I found the correct answer; but not all of the hints were helpful....in fact some of them were distracting.

wudnhed

Are you guys being mean to moi?????? I can see that I'm going to have to do alot more research to get you guys[}:)] Surprisingly tho, some of our most knowledgeable members have gotten the answer wrong, and some newbies have gotten it right[:p] I really did this one to make people do some extra research.

Dario

I consider my self still a newbie (I just talk/type too much)...I hope that meant I got it :D

Honestly, I am not sure with my answer...I did the research though.[8)]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not Dario...but this is what I sent, link might help:

CHENCHEN
BOTANICAL NAME: Antiaris spp. (includes Antiaris toxicaria, Antiaris africana, Antiaris welwitschii) of the family Moraceae

COMMON NAMES: akeche, ako, andoum, antiaris, upas, kyenkyen, bonkonko, kirundu, oro, ogiovu, ako, adoum, tstangu, akeche, mkuzu, mlulu, mumaka, tsangu, false iroko.

It has also been called the bark cloth tree which refers to the inner bark of chenchen, once used to make a white bark cloth in West Africa.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/chenchen/chenchen partial fact sheet.htm

wudnhed

Originally posted by penhead

I'm not Dario...but this is what I sent, link might help:

CHENCHEN
BOTANICAL NAME: Antiaris spp. (includes Antiaris toxicaria, Antiaris africana, Antiaris welwitschii) of the family Moraceae

COMMON NAMES: akeche, ako, andoum, antiaris, upas, kyenkyen, bonkonko, kirundu, oro, ogiovu, ako, adoum, tstangu, akeche, mkuzu, mlulu, mumaka, tsangu, false iroko.

It has also been called the bark cloth tree which refers to the inner bark of chenchen, once used to make a white bark cloth in West Africa.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/chenchen/chenchen partial fact sheet.htm

Thanks John, that's what I was hunting for.

Draken

Woo Hoo! Not sure what I won, but I'm looking forward to it! [8D] And Penhead, that is the same exact page I found the answer on. Google is my friend. :D Thanks for continuing the trivia, Becca.

Cheers,
Draken

Draken

Received my package yesterday, took photos, will get them posted soon (didn't have a chance to get them off the camera last night). Only one item was labeled, do you know what they all are Becca?

Thanks!
Draken

wudnhed

Originally posted by Draken

Only one item was labeled, do you know what they all are Becca?
Thanks!
Draken

It's a guessing game. Show the picture and then I'll guess.......no really I can probably tell you what they are when I see them again. I know the one with the dye is Maple and I bet I put an Ironwood in there too. Hope you can use them:D Thanks for playing!

Draken

Ok, here's the promised photo. Two are labeled, the two down front I'm guessing are Ironwood due to the smell others have mentioned in another thread. The only one I don't know is the greyish one upper right. Also, thank you for the colorant, will be interesting to give it a shot.

200741024724_TriviaPrizeCS.jpg

Thanks again for keeping the Trivia tradition alive!

Top Bottom