Trivia Feb 23

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Many IAP members are familiar with the Beall Collet Chuck and the Beall Three Wheel Buffing System. However, there was another tool that JR Beall invented to help penmakers do spirals and twists on pen blanks.

What was the name of JR Beall's invention?

Hint: JR Beall made a limited number of these before it went out of production. If you have one and are not using it, DocStram would like to buy it from you.:D

Please send your answers to wudnhed@gmail.com

You have 24 hours to give one answer.

Please include your Forum ID with your answer.

Trivia is closed and a winner will be announced soon. Thanks for playing!

Randy Meijer, you are the winner of the Trivia contest. Congratulations and you will be receiving a surprise in the mail.
Please read my tag line..............the answer was
Beall Lathe Wizard
Several of you got the answer right so you were given a number and winner was pulled from the hat.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mewell

Way to go, Randy:) You'll have to let us know what your "surprise" is.

For those that are interested in what this actually looked like, I found this link that shows a picture about half-way down the page.

Mark

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Trivia on the trivia. How many Lathe Wizards did the Beall company produce? In doing my "research" I emailed J.R. Beall and here is the response:

Freddie,

It was called The Lathe Wizard but it was preceded by a similar device sold by Woodcraft Supply and me called The Masterpiece Turner. It was also produced only once in a limited addition of 250. There were 100 Lathe Wizards.

JR

Direct from the source. I was impressed that a busy man like Mr. Beall would take the time to respond and do it so quickly. Thought I would share the wealth.

Randy_

Originally posted by wudnhed

.....Randy Meijer, you are the winner of the Trivia contest. Congratulations and you will be receiving a surprise in the mail.
Please read my tag line..............

Oh.....WOW!!! What a nice surprise. I just woke up from a little nap and decided to check in. Now I'm wide awake!![^]

Does the above mean I will be getting a piece of your mind??:D

This trivia thing has been good for me, I also was fortunate enough to have won a prise in the original contest. Guess we know what my head is full of??

As an aside, I very nearly didn't enter this contest at all. I vaguely remembered the thread about the Lathe Wizard</u> and remembered Don's name was involved; but not the name of the item or exactly what it did. Ran a quick search of the Internet and got nothing and dismissed the idea of looking through all of Don's old posts. I always read his posts at least twice when they are originally posted.....well, not the ones on casting blanks...don't have much interest in that.....regardless, he is a wealth of knowledge; but a third time around would have been a little much.

Anyway, I was ready to hang it up at that point; but had one little glimmer so I tried one more shot at an IAP search. No luck; but it did provide another clue.......and I just couldn't stand to ignore it. Well, one thing lead to another and after a few more stops and starts, the answer revealed itself!!! (Monk:D) Guess I sort of earned this one.

Anyway, I'm excited...looks like Christmas comes twice this year??

Thanks, Becca!! You're a sweetie!![:X][:X] I expect there is an email waiting for me asking for a mailing address. Just send it to the Federal Penitentiary in Seagoville, Texas. They know my cell number. (Oops, just kidding.) And don't fall for any fraudulent emails from Angela trying to scam you into sending the prize to Illinois or wherever!![}:)]

And to all of you losers out there, time so start another thread.....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

angboy

And don't fall for any fraudulent emails from Angela trying to scam you into sending the prize to Illinois or wherever!![}:)]

Darn!!!! I was reading this thread and plotting... and then I see this! [V][V]

(It's WV)

angboy

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Originally posted by angboy

And don't fall for any fraudulent emails from Angela trying to scam you into sending the prize to Illinois or wherever!![}:)]

Darn!!!! I was reading this thread and plotting... and then I see this! [V]

(It's WV)

Don't worry, Angela, we have Federal Prisons in WV as well! ;)

Hhhmmmm... does that mean you could be my dentist Cav?[:0]

I really don't think I'm cut out for prison, so I should probably pass on this gracious and fine invite!

DocStram

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Darn!!!! I was reading this thread and plotting... and then I see this! [V]

(It's WV)

Don't worry, Angela, we have Federal Prisons in WV as well! ;)

Hhhmmmm... does that mean you could be my dentist Cav?[:0]

I really don't think I'm cut out for prison, so I should probably pass on this gracious and fine invite!
Ang .... I wouldn't be so eager to ask Cav to be your dentist. After doing a little background check on the internet .... I found his name in the list of credits for The Marathon Man. Are you aware that he was the dental consultant for that movie???? [:0]

Randy_

I received a pleasant surprise Friday.....mailman left me a Priority envelope from Malainse in Michigan. Here, as promised, is a picture.
200734175459_Trivia%20Blanks.jpg

From left to right they are:

Spalted Maple
Dahuma
Kaku(more commonly known as Ekki)
Albizia
Mansonia
Avondire
Ansanfena
Zebra
Zebra
Rhodesian Teak
Rhodesian Teak
Spalted Maple (Hope I got all of the spellings right)

According to the labels, most of these woods are from Africa. Most of them are new species to me which should make using them a lot of fun.

Once again,
20073418745_THANK%20YOU.gif
to Becca and Mitch.

P.S. The little white spots on some of the blanks are flash reflections off water drops on the wood. I misted the wood with water to emphasize the color and the grain. First time I ever tried that little trick.....next time I will wipe them down before shooting the picture. Live and learn!!

Top Bottom