Slimline Pen Contest Rules - DEADLINE EXTENDED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The Slimline Pen Contest

Over $400 in prizes! See the list below.

Email your entries HERE

OK, this is a serious contest. Scott’s running the non-serious contest so if you’re inclined in the direction of sick and disgusting objects that no self-respecting lathe would claim, you should probably head over there. Rude comments about the pens are not allowed here, but welcomed and even encouraged over there.

This is a contest for those who are trying to create a finely crafted lowly slimline. Any and all variants of the basic slimline kit can be used: softgrip, KC Twist, Father Sing, regular slimline pen and/or pencil, teacher’s pens, mini pens, etc. In other words, any kit that uses a standard Cross transmission, EXCEPT 7mm Euros. You can make it straight or modified as much as you want, but it must still look like a pen and be capable of writing.

Here are the complete rules.

1) You must use at least two parts from a slimline kit, not including the tubes or refill, and the pen must be useable. The Cross transmission counts as a part.
2) You can enter a maximum of two pens in the contest.
3) You can’t enter the same pen in this contest and the Ugly Pen contest.
4) The background for the photographs must be plain white, beige, or light gray.
5) The judgment of the judges will be final.
6) The judges are highly respected penturners who will remain anonymous.
7) All entries must be submitted by email to this address by January 24. I will post the pens, but comments on the pens will not be allowed and the maker will be known only to me.
8) The winners will be announced on January 31 in the following categories.

Best Normal Slimline
Best Modified Slimline
Most Modified Slimline

9) To help ensure the anonymity of the maker, please do not submit a pen which has already been posted on this forum or any other forum. Once submitted, please do not post the pen here or on any other forum until after the contest winners have been announced.

So, go get busy and let’s see some eye-popping pens.

Slimline Contest Prizes:

Best normal slimline 1st:</u>
$100 Gift Certificate to Beartooth Woods

Best normal slimline 2nd:</u>
10 Rhodium Slimline pens ($65 value)

Best modified slimline 1st:</u>
$100 Gift Certificate to Beartooth Woods

Best modified slimline 2nd:</u>
10 Tactile European Pens ($50 value)

Most modified slimline 1st:</u>
Paul Huffman vise ($80 value)

Most modified slimline 2nd:</u>
25 Chrome slimline pen kits ($50 value)

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
After speaking with the judges, I can extend the deadline until 8am Mountain Standard Time on Friday, January 26.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

You can submit a maximum of two photos per entry and the photos need to be no larger than 600 pixels wide. When you submit photos, please include your IAP userid, real name and mailing address so if you win a prize it can be mailed straightaway.

If you have any questions about the rules, you can post them here. But, please do not post any comments about the pens,because they will be removed.

pssherman

Do the tubes count as 'parts'? That is, if a pen is made using only the transmission (with refill of course) and the tubes would it qualify for this contest?

Paul in AR

gerryr

Tubes are like refills, they don't count at all toward the required two parts. I should have stated that, but didn't even think of it.

Skye

Originally posted by jthompson1995

Do the parts you use have to be visible (other than the transmission)?

Originally posted by gerryr
Tubes are like refills, they don't count at all toward the required two parts. I should have stated that, but didn't even think of it.

Originally posted by gerryr All of the usual kit parts in their usual places.

That only leaves the nib, finnial, clip, centerband. My guess would be they have to be visible.

jthompson1995

Originally posted by Skye

Originally posted by gerryr

Originally posted by gerryr All of the usual kit parts in their usual places.

That only leaves the nib, finial, clip, centerband. My guess would be they have to be visible.

I know the tubes don't count and I beleive that Gerry's last response was to the definition of a normal slimline. I want to know if I can hide some of the normally visible parts within the pen and it still be submittable.

Skye

I would think that parts normally outside made hidden inside the wood would not follow the "usual kit parts in their usual places" line, but who knows. Maybe we need a visual "allowed" "not allowed" example, lol

Scott

Hi Jason!

Not to barge in here (but I will anyway!), but in the modified slimline category, I would think that the parts wouldn't necessarily need to be visible, as long as they're there. Just my opinion! [8D]

Scott.

gerryr

Here I am making up or modifying the rules on the fly.

Normal slimline: all the usually visible parts must be visible

Modified slimline: anything goes as long as you have the two required parts not counting refill and tubes.

The judges will actually decide what category things fall into, but that should clarify it somewhat.

Snazzypens

May I ask why are tubes and tranny on the exclusion list but in the trivia question they were all parts that come in the kit?
I look forward to your reply
bye Toni

underdog

Ok.. sorry for the stupid question but...

Rule #7

What time is the cutoff on Jan 24th?

I might make one tomorrow evening... (Man where did the month go!!!?)[:0]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK Gerry, whats this Mountain time lark then????
I can see Mount Snowdon from my house in Wales. Is this the correct mountain? Is this another trivia puzzle?.:D[}:)] Does having a Mountain view get me extra points??

Thanks for extension.....phew!!!:D

gerryr

Originally posted by skiprat

OK Gerry, whats this Mountain time lark then????
I can see Mount Snowdon from my house in Wales. Is this the correct mountain? Is this another trivia puzzle?.:D[}:)] Does having a Mountain view get me extra points??

Thanks for extension.....phew!!!:D

There just has to be wise guy in every crowd.:D Having a mountain view doesn't get you extra point, but carrying your lathe to the top of Mt. Snowdon(which I have heard of BTW) and turning the pen there at midnight will get you something. I haven't decided what yet.[}:)]

Mountain Standard Time is Universal Coordinated Time or GMT, whichever you prefer, minus 7 hours, so that's about 3 pm your time. But I don't know what time it would be on Mt. Snowdon, besides freezing.[8D]

underdog

Thanks for the extension.... Now I have to come up with something![^]

I guess if it don't turn out, I can always enter it into the ugly pen contest.;)

Top Bottom