zoetrope

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

A zoetrope is an animation toy that literally translates to "life turning." While I had many challenges on this build, I have to say is it easily one of my favorite creations. I have a particular fondness for toys....

c64XP4ql.jpg

In order to make it, I needed 8 slits in the top. I devised many solutions for cutting these, but none seemed really practical to get 8 evenly cut slits. That was until I realized I could easily cut them on the radial arm saw.

tMmTwaql.jpg

After the cuts were made it was off the the lathe, after a quick stop at the band saw to knock off the corners. My main worry was that the wedges would de-lamiate from the block due to the turning. I took very light cuts with the bowl gouge and tried my best to not get a catch.

Hollowing was done with a square nose scraper, again to reduce the possibility of catches. It was slow going but after about 20 minutes I had it hollowed out and the walls as thin as I was willing to go.

MwCHbmyl.jpg

I used BLO for the finish. Most zoetropes are painted black on the outside to draw your eye to the animation. I really wanted to avoid that, and so I tried to just darken the wood a bit...
l96Kcupl.jpg

The zoetrope works really well and you can find lots of different animation strips online. You also can make your own if you have the skill!

6tDjrLol.jpg

Thanks for looking!

YouTube Video:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom