yarn bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

A lady asked me if I made yarn bowls I wasn't sure what one was. So she showed me some pictures and I told her I would try. I had been given a large maple log by a friend so wanted to try turning some of that. I has some splating and been attracted by the ambrosia beetle.
This was the first bowl like this I had turned I left the walls thick because I watched a video which said you want the bowl heavy so it stays put while the yarn is pulled through the hold.
My biggest problem was tear out under the rim and then cutting the slot to the hole. sanding the slot and hole was time consuming but worth the effort. The lady bought it the same day I finished it.
Finish is Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Finishing Oil.
C & C welcome

Attachments

• yarn1.jpg
    yarn1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 219
  • yarn2.jpg
    yarn2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 190
  • yarn3.jpg
    yarn3.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 170
  • yarn4.jpg
    yarn4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very well done, William !!! . That piece of wood seems perfectly matched to its new role in life.

I am also intrigued by the background of picture #2 where there appears to be a piece of electronic equipment ... perhaps a signal generator ? ... with origins in Canada ... something I might have also encountered in my younger days dabbling in amateur radio.

Please tell me a little about it if you don't mind.

magpens

I did not know William has a Oneway. . Thanks for pointing that out, Pete. . That's it !

triw51

Very well done, William !!! . That piece of wood seems perfectly matched to its new role in life.

I am also intrigued by the background of picture #2 where there appears to be a piece of electronic equipment ... perhaps a signal generator ? ... with origins in Canada ... something I might have also encountered in my younger days dabbling in amateur radio.

Please tell me a little about it if you don't mind.

Mal as Pete pointed out I have an one way lathe. I was blessed a while ago with a used one way at a very reasonable price. I really like having a nice well built lathe

Curly

I'd save the pewter for where you can see it, so I'd use lead/steel shot in epoxy. You having some nice blacksmithing ability could make a Damascus ring to put around the outside foot of the bowl for something totally unique. ;)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'd save the pewter for where you can see it, so I'd use lead/steel shot in epoxy. You having some nice blacksmithing ability could make a Damascus ring to put around the outside foot of the bowl for something totally unique. ;)

Or the indent could be on the inside of the bowl where the pewter could be seen. Maybe with an imprint or pattern?

Top Bottom