Xmas gifts 2018

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brailsmt

brailsmt

I made these pepper mills for my family. They are my first non-pen turning projects. My goal was to make each one unique. I did the walnut first, which is why it is so much shorter, I made lots of mistakes. I had to acquire, 75mm jaws and a parting tool to complete these. All I had before was 50mm and 100mm, and what I really need is something between 75mm and 100mm so I can cut a tenon on a 3x3 blank that fits with the jaws nearly closed. Also, any tips for cutting tenons with only a parting tool, and carbides (4" radius square, round, and detailer from yufutol)? I found myself guessing at the angle which obviously lowered my confidence that the blank would hold. I did have one of the blanks pop out on me, which hurt.

1_pepperills_xmas_2018.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ebill

Also, any tips for cutting tenons with only a parting tool, and carbides (4" radius square, round, and detailer from yufutol)?

- I doubt that you will find two turners that would make the exact same tenons. You need to find what works for what you are turning. Hard/soft or large/small pieces.

- when I started making larger bowls I picked up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/6008-Dovetail-Chisel-Chuck-Accessory/dp/B0064JJFRK

- but I now seldom reach for it as I have found I can make a very good and quick tenons with my EW square and detail tools. So my tip for making tenons is to just keep making them. Like any lathe skill, its practice practice practice.

- ebill

I made these pepper mills for my family. They are my first non-pen turning projects. My goal was to make each one unique. I did the walnut first, which is why it is so much shorter, I made lots of mistakes. I had to acquire, 75mm jaws and a parting tool to complete these. All I had before was 50mm and 100mm, and what I really need is something between 75mm and 100mm so I can cut a tenon on a 3x3 blank that fits with the jaws nearly closed. Also, any tips for cutting tenons with only a parting tool, and carbides (4" radius square, round, and detailer from yufutol)? I found myself guessing at the angle which obviously lowered my confidence that the blank would hold. I did have one of the blanks pop out on me, which hurt.

1_pepperills_xmas_2018.jpg

Michael,
You did a good job in your learning process.. I don't see anything wrong with any of them... as a regular pepper mill turner, may I offer a couple of suggestions... not in your design, those are spot on... but maybe in technique that will help a little...;. I pretty much only do the crush grind and the little 4" and 6" crank operated... I don't do the standard mills with the knob on top at all...

Yours all look like the crush grind, so these comments may help.

First I turn all my blanks round between centers at about 1900 rpm...my lathe has odd settings... once round and before I take it off the lathe, I determine which end will be the top... I put about a 3/8" to 1/2" long tenon on that end, then mount in my 4 jaw chuck.... my jaws are straight so I don't need to do an angle, but if you have the dovetail jaws, you'll need to determine the angle as best you can. if you need to determine the diameter of the tenon, you may have to have a set of inexpensive calipers... after several hundred mills, I can more or less eye ball the diameter I need.
once you have the blank mounted in the chuck, put the tail stock back up for safety, then mark off the top and using your parting tool, cut it away. I have modified the design/instructions slightly, so my instructions will differ from the instructions that come with the kits... the kit instructions say to make the bottom of the top where it fits the body flat and you would use the white drive piece as a tenon inside the body... I find that lets the top wobble more than I like, so I cut a tenon that will fit inside the body... the tenon is usually about 3/8" to 1/2" and is cut as I begin to part the top off the blank... for the drilling I only use 3 of the 4 bits the kit instructions call for... I use the 1 3/4" for the very bottom, then the

1 9/16" I drill all the way through, so the tenon from the top needs to be 1 9/16" diameter, then the last bit is the 15/16" for the white drive piece... I don't know what the metric equivalent of these bits are, I buy my kits from Ideal's U.S. representative who is in Canada and the dims are all in U.S./Imperial dimensions.

when I cut the tenon in the top, I also cut a tenon in the part that will be the body then part the top away from the body.... while still in the chuck I drill the 15/16 hole for the drive piece... then lay the top aside until I do the body....
I put the body in the 4 jaw chuck using the tenon I cut when I was parting the t op away, then drill the two holes, first the 1 3/4" hole for the very bottom about 1/2" deep... I usually use the bit itself as my measure, once the cutter edge has passed the end of the mill, i back out and change to the 1 9/16" bit om an extension that I can drill all the way through... some turners will drill part way and then reverse to finish the hole, I usually just go all the way through. drill at the lowest speed you can for safety and to keep from burning your bit.
once drilling is finished, I use a jam chuck to hold the body between centers to turn the body... I haven't had a mill jump off the lathe, but did take a couple of bowls to the body, one to the face and one to my left shoulder and you're right that does hurt.
I turned my jam chuck from a piece of hardwood...that is tapped to fit my lathe spindle and screws on so that it turns true...you can turn one that will fit in you chuck if that works better for you or you don't have the ability to tap the jam chuck... fortunately I have a close friend that helped me do mine... I turn my bodies with the top of the body to the headstock, so my jam chuck has an 1 1/2" tenon that is the same diameter as the hole through the body.... I have another jam that is turned to 1 3/4 and fitted to my tail stock... that will hold the body between centers and is much safer than trying to hold with a 4 jaw chuck.... again I turn the body at 1900 rpms to what every my design is, then sand through my grits before I set aside to do the top.
Once the body is finished you can then determine what shape you need for the top....one thing I forgot to mention, the tenon on the top needs to be a hair under the 1 9/16 diameter of the through hole... just enough to turn smoothly.
To turn the top, which I usually turn as a ball, I mount the blank on my pin jaws.... my pin jaws are a two step pin with the smallest portion fitting inside the 15/16 hole and by opening the jaws slightly I can get a pretty firm hold... I usually start with the tail stock up, but as i get closer to finishing I have to remove it.... again I turn at about 1900 rpms... your speeds may vary to what you feel safer with... once turned to my shape, I also sand at the same speed, then remove the finished mill to my work bench for applying the finish....

Your designs look great and I'm sure you have a good technique, but I do hope this helps a little.
If you have any comments or questions, PM me and I'll try to give you a good response.
You can see some of my mills in my ETSY shop linked in my signature.

Last edited:

brailsmt

Chuck, those are beautiful pepper mills !!!

Thank you. They are my very first mills and I was winging it mostly on shape. The only one I was sure of the shape was the bocote, it just seemed a shame to do anything to draw the eye away from the amazing grain pattern. I welcome the suggestions from Chuck, I'm sure my technique is *not* good and I really appreciate the detailed tips and suggestions.

JimB

If you are talking about dovetail tenons to grip with dovetail jaws you can just grind your parting tool on an angle to match the dovetail angle.

Very nice job on the pepper mills!

brailsmt

If you are talking about dovetail tenons to grip with dovetail jaws you can just grind your parting tool on an angle to match the dovetail angle.

Very nice job on the pepper mills!
I don't have a grinder...yet. have to buy a house first, I made the call to the real estate agent today, so it won't be long...

Top Bottom