Worry Fish!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

One of the woodturning clubs nearby has a group of turners who get together regularly for some social time/dinner. Usually, there is no turning going on at these gatherings. More of a show & tell, visit, eat, and fellowship.
Sometimes one or two are doing a little carving of spoons or other items.
Last night, one gentleman taught me to carve a worry fish. These are small hand carved fish which you can carry in your pocket. These fish can help relieve stress as you simply feel it's smooth curves. We ended up with this gentleman teaching four of us to carve these worry fish!
These make great give away gifts and are much more meaningful than giving someone a fidget spinner you picked up at a convieniance store.
These are also therapeutic for the person carving them.....and a great use of cut offs.
These are both from red cedar with one coat of TY Oil, re-sanded and Beale buffed to a soft sheen.

Attachments

• IMG_9900.jpg
    IMG_9900.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9903.jpg
    IMG_9903.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_9904.jpg
    IMG_9904.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I like them, I have seen what is called "comfort birds" same principle as the worry fish but the fish is a new one. Another carving is the "comfort crosses", they are my choice to make. I was surprised at how people took to them. I gave away a few dozen at a Veterans Administration hospital on my last visit.

Mr Vic

I'd be worried I'd loose it or rub it down to the bone....A pocket full of fish bones...Yuck

Hey Bob started it.

Awesome idea. Sit in whittle in front of our wood stove and toss the chip in the water pot on top...Smells awesome. Great idea...

Charlie_W

Thanks all!

More Worry Fish! My school is growing! Most of these need sanding....a couple are still in progress.
The oak fish is a piece of barn board from my parents farm. My dad saved some boards before moving from the farm in 1988. I left the bottom flat with the weathered red barn paint.

Attachments

• IMG_6008.jpg
    IMG_6008.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 168
Top Bottom