Wooden Tick Tock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd_ab_penman

Wife thinks I have too much time on my hands. This wooden gear clock dose run. Still fine tuning to balance. All done on my scroll saw.

2007625225631_Assembled%20Gears.jpg

2007625225727_Assembled%20Wooden%20Gear%20Clock.jpg

Les Elm
Red Deer, Alberta
2007625225838_canada.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

Originally posted by ashaw
<br />Les
Great job. I have the plans just have not gotten around to trying. You did use baltic birch? Again get job.
Yes I used Baltic Birch from 1/8" to 3/4". I like Baltic Birch due to fact it has very few voids and finishes nicely.

Les Elm
Red Deer,
Alberta

Randy_

Nice job, Les!!

I'm working on the same project; but have a ways to go yet.

Did you have any difficulties or did it go pretty smoothly?

Did you keep track of the time it took you to complete the project??

<b>Note: It was an order for Balitc Burch plywood to complete this project that got me crosswise with Steebar and their very unsatisfactory service. If you missed the original thread, you can see it HERE.</b>

rd_ab_penman

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Nice job, Les!!

I'm working on the same project; but have a ways to go yet.

Did you have any difficulties or did it go pretty smoothly?

Did you keep track of the time it took you to complete the project??

[purple]Note: It was an order for Balitc Burch plywood to complete this project that got me crosswise with Steebar and their very unsatisfactory service. If you missed the original thread, you can see it HERE.[/purple

Hi Randy,

I went fairly smoothly. Had a few problems due to fact that some of the instructions were missing on the blue prints and had to contact Marc for help. He was great in providing missing information. Complete instructions were made available in the following issue of ScrollSaw magazine.

I didn't keep that close of a track on my completion time, but I would estimate 60 hrs.

I tried to post a video to show you guys what the clock looks and sounds like when it is running, but for some reason could not post.
Any ideas how I could post?[V]

Les Elm
Red Deer, Alberta
2007626191734_canada.gif
<br />
"What's YOUR Carbon Footprint?"

Randy_

Thanks, Les. What sort of finish did you use on the gears and how did you keep the finish off the faces of the teeth and leaves as was directed in the instructions?

David: The original plans are in the Spring issue of Scrollsawer magazine. However, there were some omissions in the original plans and corrections were published in the summer issue. I don't know if the complete plan was publisher the summer issue or just corrections. The corrections were also posted on their web site; but I'm not sure if you have to be a subscriber to download them....I'm thinking "NOT" other newsstand purchasers would be in a bind.

Below is a link to their web site. It shows the clock in operation and has a provision for ordering back issues of the magazine. While you are there, you can see about downloading the corrections.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/issue26/woodengearclock.php

<b>This is the web site of the guy who designed the clock:
http://www.wooden-clockworks.com/ . It is a little confusing to navugate; but,there is some neat stuff to be seen and well worth the effort to muddle around!!</b>

rd_ab_penman

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Thanks, Les. What sort of finish did you use on the gears and how did you keep the finish off the faces of the teeth and leaves as was directed in the instructions?

David: The original plans are in the Spring issue of Scrollsawer magazine. However, there were some omissions in the original plans and corrections were published in the summer issue. I don't know if the complete plan was publisher the summer issue or just corrections. The corrections were also posted on their web site; but I'm not sure if you have to be a subscriber to download them....I'm thinking "NOT" other newsstand purchasers would be in a bind.

Below is a link to their web site. It shows the clock in operation and has a provision for ordering back issues of the magazine. While you are there, you can see about downloading the corrections.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/issue26/woodengearclock.php

<b>[purple]This is the web site of the guy who designed the clock:
http://www.wooden-clockworks.com/ . It is a little confusing to navugate; but,there is some neat stuff to be seen and well worth the effort to muddle around!!purple]</b>

Randy, I didn't use any finish on the gears. Just sanded and left "o-natural" The complete plans for the Wooden Gear Clock is in the Summer issue of ScrollSaw Magazine. Did you have any ideas on how to post a video?
Thanks!

Les Elm
Red Deer, Alberta
200762733037_canada.gif
<br />
"What's YOUR Carbon Footprint?"

Randy_

I was wondering....... Your picture did look like there was little or no finish on the gear train. I may try that too....would certain;y save some time.

I have no idea how to post a video. Sorry. The link I posted shows the clock working although the sound isn'r very good. It (the video) is the one on the magazine web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom