With wood like this ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker

With wood like this, the shape don't need to be fancy.

I've falling in love with spalted wood. I am amazed at the verity of color and design of mostly rotted nature. Aside from being stabilized, This little bud vase is all natural. Impressive display of suspended decay.

The pen is for size comparison, the wood was a small branch from the larger log I found. At it's base was the crock of another branch. As I Was turning, I realized that the shape didn't need to be fancy for this vase to be attractive.

bud2a.jpg

bud2b.jpg

bud2c.jpg

bud2d.jpg

bud2e.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That looks very much like a piece I did from Spalted Hackberry.... fantastic figuring in the wood.... and you're right, shape doesn't matter with wood like that.

This is my lidded box from spalted Hackberry. One of my very favorite woods because of the grain patterns.

Attachments

• 28-3481_0.jpg
    28-3481_0.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 28-3481_1.jpg
    28-3481_1.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 28-3481_2.jpg
    28-3481_2.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 28-3481_3.jpg
    28-3481_3.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 149

BeeAMaker

That looks very much like a piece I did from Spalted Hackberry.... fantastic figuring in the wood.... and you're right, shape doesn't matter with wood like that.

This is my lidded box from spalted Hackberry. One of my very favorite woods because of the grain patterns.

Beautiful!

I'm fairly certain mine is spalted Maple. At least there isn't any Hackberry in my woods. There is ash and elm, but the grain of the parts that haven't rotted yet look like maple.

Thanks for posting your pics! looks great.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great job on that bud vase, Glenn! Thanks for sharing it.

I too love working with spalted woods. Here's a little stopper that I made from spalted hackberry.

Attachments

• IMG_9381.jpg
    IMG_9381.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 146

Beautiful!

I'm fairly certain mine is spalted Maple. At least there isn't any Hackberry in my woods. There is ash and elm, but the grain of the parts that haven't rotted yet look like maple.

Thanks for posting your pics! looks great.

I won't argue the wood with you without seeing it, but it really doesn't look like the spalted maples I've worked with here and very much like the hackberry.... the intense black really throws me a bit.... either way, it's a beautiful piece of work and something to treasure and be proud of.

Top Bottom