Wood grip for MAGLITE- mini tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hebertjo

Awesome job and thanks for sharing the how-to. I really like the food color dye job.

What do you think the wall thickness was of the aluminum after being turned down and the thickness of the wood that was left on the barrel? I am guessing both were pretty thin. Also, how strong is the flahlight now? I would not think people are going to hammer nails with one of these but do you think it will hold up if dropped?

Thanks,

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Great mod! The links were great, too. Looks like another way to justify getting a metal lathe.
Chris
I know the desire , but a carbide insert tool will do the same job at a fraction of the cost .
Wayne

Hold on .. hold on ..
Am I reading this right? :eek:

Is this one guy taking away another guy's excuse to buy another tool????

Who is this really? Mrs. Wayne? :tongue:

jleiwig

I've heard that can get you banned in some states. It's similar to castration as far as I'm concerned :biggrin:

Great mod! The links were great, too. Looks like another way to justify getting a metal lathe.

Hold on .. hold on ..
Am I reading this right? :eek:

Is this one guy taking away another guy's excuse to buy another tool????

Who is this really? Mrs. Wayne? :tongue:

Canedriver

That looks sweet. Having been a truck driver for years and carrying a maglite in a holster on my belt I know what project i want to work on now.

Darn lathe projects are going to bankrupt me

Bree

You never know what people on this system are going to come up with next! That's just incredible. Blows me away. Great job!
:eek::eek::eek:

Grizz

Banned
Nice job Rick!

Anyone want to try to guess when one of the major suppliers starts maketing their own version? :biggrin:

Your not kidding and a cheaper version of it at that!

oops I mean "a cheap version of it"... meaning really poor quality.

rherrell

Ryan, I made my own pin chuck to hold it and I held the pin chuck in a Beall collet chuck. Nothing special after that, just be careful because the wood is VERY thin around the aluminum body.

rherrell

I used a metal lathe and a milling machine to make mine but if you don't have these machines try this http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/pinchuck.pdf

Also, there's a plastic lampholder in the front that has "DO NOT REMOVE" on it. I chose not to remove it but Hans said he did and it was not a problem. If you remove it then you can turn the body between centers and you won't need a pin chuck.:wink::cool:

rherrell

THANKS Bob!:biggrin: They're really not that hard but having a metal lathe is a big advantage. I'm sure it can be done without one but it would take a little longer.

RyanNJ

So all I would need to do is make a set of bushings with a 60 degree hole so that I can turn between centers.

I will ask my buddy with a metal lathe and see what I can come up with.
What size was the blank you used?

rherrell

I use a 7/8" blank, 3/4" is just .040" bigger than the finished diameter so you'd need to be DEAD ON to pull it off. I turn the blank round leaving it as large as possible and then drill it. Then you can glue it on the body and turn it down. I also leave it a little long and part it off at the end.
You can make your own centers out of just about anything. Try using a hardwood, they won't last forever but after every couple of lights you make you can trim them down and they're like new again.:wink:

Here's a couple more I just finished.......................
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• mags.jpg
    mags.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,092

RAdams

Banned
These would look insane with some resin blanks!

Not that they look bad now.

Varinokid

oh this would be PERFECT for my dad...his birthday is coming up in Jan.

He loves all the pens I make, but he will drool over having a flashlight with "wood" handle.

I do not have a metal lathe, just wood lathe....so I guess I'm gonna have to find out about the file scrapper!

Did it work? or I should use a different tool? Let me know!

Top Bottom