Western Red Cedar Plate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toolcrazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolcrazy

There is a cool story behind this plate. My future son-in-law and I was cutting up a big leaf maple that I had dropped on my property. When I got to a spot that this limb was in the way. It was a strange limb, it was about 12" to 14" around and when I cut it off, it was shaped like a triangle. It was no more that 3" thick. I notice that the core of the limb was purple and I thought that this piece would make a beautiful plate and here it is. Burn pile wood turning to decorative art. All comments welcome.
tn_plate_top.jpg

And here's the bottom with all the inclusions and bug holes. :D
tn_plate_bottom.jpg

Oh, I finished it with danish oil the buffed it on my Beal.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Originally posted by winpooh498
<br />Absolutely beautiful !!
Some day my itty bitty mini lathe will get a new BIG friend, then I can start turning fun stuff like you![:D]

Have a great day
Dawn

Believe it or not, I turned that on my Jet Midi. Wasn't easy, the motor is a bit under powered, well ok, a lot under powered. Just have to remember to go slow, with light cuts. I will be getting a big lathe in time, don't know when, but in time.

Oh BTW, the plate is about 8" in diameter and no more than about 3/8" tall.

toolcrazy

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Beautiful plate, Steve! I am a bit confused, though. The title says cedar and you were cutting up a big leaf maple?

Thanks for all the comments.

Actually, what I was doing was cutting up a maple that was laying across a pile of assorted trunks. And the trunk that was in my way was a Cedar. I'm gonna have to go take a look at that pile again, there may be more of this. :)

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Rob if Cedar does not sit in direct sunlight---it will stay red.
I have some bowls that are 4 years old that are still very red.

That is cool. I have lots of years to show it off. thx [:D]

BigRob777

Well, that's good news. It's such a pretty plate. I have to make a pen from cedar, to comemorate our trip to Acapulco (I got a curly piece there). Keep it up Steve. I'd love to try a bowl sometime.
Rob

Steve,
That is beautiful cedar... I have a bunch of dead falls in my back yard.. been down for a few years.. one piece is a stump about 24 to 30 in. diameter and about 5 feet long.. I want to get into that stump soon... I'm sure there's some great wood in there with color like what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom