Wedgie Sled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Made a new and improved Wedgie Sled yesterday compared to my previous one for cutting segments to make segmented bowls .
Well , Of course I had to try it out
wink.png

I used my 18 segment wedge and cut a 3.5" wide strip of the same plywood that I made the sled with . That is a 7" round board as shown but if I decide to use it rather than just toss it out as a test piece and "turn" it into a bowl , I will probably cut 16 very thin strips of contrasting wood to put between each segment which will probably increase the diameter to over 8 inches . .
As far as the accuracy goes right off the saw , it just doesn't get much better than this . It just has an elastic band holding it together at this point .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Thanks for showing and for your efforts in redesign. It appears to solve several limitations of the original. I also like the simplicity of your stop block.
Gordon

It probably goes without saying, but I assume the wedgie is 90 degrees to the saw blade. I drew a line down the middle of the wedgie and on the sled. When I do that, it helps keep the outer points all lined up for clamping. Of course, one can always skew it to one side, giving an angled glue line for the upper and lower rings.

W.Y.

It probably goes without saying, but I assume the wedgie is 90 degrees to the saw blade. I drew a line down the middle of the wedgie and on the sled. When I do that, it helps keep the outer points all lined up for clamping. Of course, one can always skew it to one side, giving an angled glue line for the upper and lower rings.

That is correct Jeff .
Here is the effect I have achieved making a flat board into a bowl by skewing the fences one way or another . Just one of many I have done this way .

Last edited:

efrulla

I was about to build a wedgie sled as shown on youTube and Segementology but I love the design of yours using the tracks. Thank you so much for posting.

W.Y.

Tried a 8" diameter 30 segment flat board and it works perfectly . Those segments are only held together with an elastic band at this point .

Last edited:

wyone

so did you post instructions on building and using this in the library? I have not looked yet, but think that is going to be the first jig I make as soon as I have my table saw up and running again

W.Y.

so did you post instructions on building and using this in the library? I have not looked yet, but think that is going to be the first jig I make as soon as I have my table saw up and running again

No . . but thanks for asking . I am not sure how the library thing works here and besides that a few other sites are asking the same thing.
Problem is my own Woodworking Friends site where all the tutorials and videos and pages of discussion on this type of thing keeps me too busy to copy it all over to other sites as well . My time is spread very thin with all my shop work as well as running a busy discussion board site and contributing on several Facebook groups . . Good thing I am just a young 'un at 80 next month or I would never be able to keep up with it . :wink:

wyone

I am sure someone would help you put it down in the right format for this forum. In fact I think it was just today one of the managers was posting asking for new library articles. If I lived close I would come over and you could dictate to me and we could come up with something. I know you could teach me a lot.

chartle

Made a new and improved Wedgie Sled yesterday compared to my previous one for cutting segments to make segmented bowls .

Thanks for showing and for your efforts in redesign. It appears to solve several limitations of the original. I also like the simplicity of your stop block.
Gordon

What improvements does this sled have over the regular double fence sled?

I'm planning on starting to turn segmented bowls, mostly because I inherited a bunch of just shy of 1/2" local walnut and cherry, and have all the parts to make one. Just didn't have time getting Slim line done for the Slimline Unlimited Contest.

Last edited:

W.Y.

Gordon

What improvements does this sled have over the regular double fence sled?

I'm planning on starting to turn segmented bowls, mostly because I inherited a bunch of just shy of 1/2" local walnut and cherry, and have all the parts to make one. Just didn't have time getting Slim line done for the Slimline Unlimited Contest.

Some of it is aesthetics but most importantly is the ease of sliding the fences compared to the way many have made them as well as the value of using proper knobs as is discussed in great detail in my own site on dozens of multi page topic on the subject .
You say you have all the parts , so go for it and make one . Have fun making dead on accurate segments .

Last edited:

chartle

Some of it is aesthetics but most importantly is the ease of sliding the fences compared to the way many have made them as well as the value of using proper knobs as is discussed in great detail in my own site on dozens of multi page topic on the subject .
You say you have all the parts , so go for it and make one . Have fun making dead on accurate segments .

Well I make my own knobs. I once had a whole jig setup to make proper wooden 5 pointed star knobs but now I just use the various wooden wheels from the craft store and put t nuts or other threaded inserts in them. I guess some people try to use wing nuts.

I do now see some advantages when it comes to stock width. Some people have put their pivot points too close together and they have had to nip off some corners to get the stock to fit.

Last edited:

chartle

One change I may want to make is to make span both miter slots.

I just think it makes for a less "wobbly" sled. You can also use runners that are a little loose and just have to so they the ride on their outside edges in the slots.

May need to add some sort of suction to get them away from the blade as you pull the sled back.

W.Y.

One change I may want to make is to make span both miter slots.

I just think it makes for a less "wobbly" sled. You can also use runners that are a little loose and just have to so they the ride on their outside edges in the slots.

May need to add some sort of suction to get them away from the blade as you pull the sled back.

Go for it. You will learn from that one and your second one will be much better .
"less wobbly" is not an option. It has to be absolutely zero wobbly to achieve the accuracy you see in my cuts . . Like I said there are dozens of threads on my site that address the "proper" making of those sleds .

Sorry , I don't have time to continue along with this particular topic here .

Gotta get out to my shop and glue up several hundred more segments and make a bunch more bowls and some more band saw boxes I have got started ,

Top Bottom