We have light

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Terredax

Terredax

Banned
The couple with the pack of Beagles have been out of town and haven't decided on a material for their base to accompany their plaque.

So I spent some time today and made a make-shift base to get a photo of the plaque, and in the future, I can utilize it to view new designs and photos for a portfolio. Of course, I won't be taking the photos.

My slightly blurred photo.

ptePrqB.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

When I was in the Army, we used lights along the edges of plexiglass to light up or grease pencil notes.

With the advent of the LED light strips, I think that they will work even better because you can get mode light sources in a small area.

Charlie_W

Very nice!! I am sure they will enjoy this and your craftsmanship.

My neighbor has a CNC and has been doing some acrylics with edge lighting for cars In the base. Pretty Cool!

Terredax

Banned
Very nice!! I am sure they will enjoy this and your craftsmanship.

My neighbor has a CNC and has been doing some acrylics with edge lighting for cars In the base. Pretty Cool!

I've done two car plaques and it seems they are in demand. I've had several others asking about having them made.

They problem I have, is there isn't a local supplier, so the acrylic has to be ordered. The cost of the acrylic is a bit costly, but the shipping is insane. I've contacted several suppliers and the shipping is about the same from each of them, so it comes down to material cost.

These make nice night lights as well. I've done a few of those for little one's using their favorite characters.

I also have a guy that wants one to fit inside his plastic engine cover on his Cadillac. This will be a test of durability. I believe it will sustain the temperature with a shield, but an engine compartment is a harsh environment. He was made aware of this concern and is fine with trying it.

Terredax

Banned
I've seen it done with etched glass as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Yes, but with glass, it isn't as strong as the acrylic, and it weighs more. If the glass gets broken, it becomes a hazard for little people. The acrylic won't shatter if it is dropped and scratches are easily removed from acrylic as compared to glass.

Another downfall with glass, is the profile will have to remain straight cuts and be very sharp without expensive equipment for shaping and grinding the edges. It also requires a diamond tool for the engraving.

Glass has it's place, but my opinion, this isn't one of them.

Top Bottom