walnut shell/resin key rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Really nice. Great idea. Should sell well if you do shows.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
George, those are really cool !! They look like Brain Scans :biggrin:
Please will you show a sideways pic so we can see how they are held in the ring. Cheers:biggrin:

thank you

sorry Steven, I had enough trouble getting these pics!! let alone side on!!
Its just a discus shaped turning with a V groove and the spring ring is a tight fit into

magpens

They look great, George !! ... Ingenious idea !!!

But something's funny .... the nut "meat" seems to have disappeared from out of the closed shells in all cases ???????

Or maybe it got coloured by the resin ??

Last edited:
English Walnut?

German walnut - Juglans friburgensis

except the 3 in one key ring which are American black walnuts

Interesting... as far as I know, we don't get the German Walnuts here in my part of the world.. matter fact, I didn't know there was such a thing... stores I've frequent usually market all their walnuts as English Walnuts... rarely find the black walnut in the stores except in ice cream.

When we were looking to move to our present address and I think after we had bought it, there's a road that has two black walnut trees - one one either side of the road - that had dropped a ton of the nuts... I picked up a 5 gallon bucket full and took them back to Houston where I dried them and was going to do something similar... I sliced them, then put an eye hook in the top to make a pendant... thought about getting some of those fake glass crystals that kids use to make "stained glass" sun catchers - never got around to that though... I have a black walnut tree on the back of my lot... it hasn't made nuts the last couple of years though... I'll have to watch it and see if it's going to this year.

KenV

Nice!!! Pine needle basket makers have been using walnut slices as a decoration, but this is a nice different adaptation. The use of resins make a better contrast.

Well done

Dai Sensei

German walnut - Juglans friburgensis

except the 3 in one key ring which are American black walnuts

Well I went and got some walnuts to give it a try George, but the ones available in shell here were English Walnut (Juglans regia), but modified to give ease of cracking etc. They have shells thin enough to crack in your hand plus the internal walls are just wafers that crumble :frown:

Oh well, I still have heaps of peach/nectarine/apricot seeds I'm playing around with, plus all the other Sweat Gum & Sheoak pods too :biggrin:.

Dai Sensei

Hey George, I ended up casting some of the walnut shells with nectarine pips in the middle. They are cast 50 so I should be able to turn them so the shell is more central for the 40mm hoops.

Thanks for the inspiration :cool:

Attachments

• walnut nectarine pendant blanks.jpg
    walnut nectarine pendant blanks.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 180
Top Bottom