Video of how the Made in the USA Pen kits are made.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Constant Laubscher

sbell111

Great video. Here's my thoughts:

1. I would not cut any length. It is neither a training film nor something that everyone must watch all the way through to get the point. It is great as is.
  2. Regardless of how you cut your blanks in 'real life', use a sled in the video. Otherwise, it's a distraction that you don't need.
  3. I would not add a pen press. Pressing the parts your way shows that the end user doesn't need to buy any pen-related specialty tools. (It also shows that many of us have been overthinking the pressing process for years.)
  4. I have been rounding my blanks the hard way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Wow. I am so clueless. I totally thought the USA kits where made by some guy with a metal lathe. LOL. I have so much to learn.

This machine is amazing. I have watched this three times now. It lead me to look at other swiss type cnc lathes. I am amazed. Then I found a page that lists the cost. I saw some machines in the $100k range (used). WOW. I now feel like I need to buy a kit to support this endeavor. :)

I don't think your video gives away any secrets because there are not many of us with a swiss type cnc in our basements or garage shops. I would love to see more videos. They are just amazing to watch!! Thanks so much for sharing.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Very good video, Constant.

I like the contrast between high technology and artisan ingenuity (i.e. hammering with wood). A press might look more 'professional', but it also would lose some of the 'made by hand' feel that your video currently has at the end.

The tablsaw is safe - until it isn't. A thousand safe cuts can lead to a lost finger on the thousand and first - and you're definitely in the danger zone. A push block would be safer!

Once again, very good video!

Andrew

Last edited:

ttpenman

+1 on Cool, awesome & fantastic!! Very, very impressive. I agree the saw part looks a bit dangerous and should maybe be changed. But I love a guy that uses a chuck of wood to put his pen together!! I've done it a few times myself and I'll bet a lot of others have to.

Keep it up. I hope to work my way up to using some of your kits soon.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Wingdoctor

First of all, I love the movie. I have made on of your kits and it is a beautiful pen.

We all have methods that we use that work for us but may not be what others recommend. I will not tell anyone that they cannot use a given process, but I might recomend a better or safer method. But when we produce a video to show to the public we should always use the proper technique for safety reasons so that we do not suggest to inexperienced watchers that they can do it the same way. I can remember watching a video of Sam Maloof bandsaw parts for his chairs freehand. He said do not do it this way because it is dangerious and you might slip and cut your hand as I have done. Even though Sam used the bandsaw every day he still got cut. He knew the dangers that came from using his method, even thought he was an expert. Many viewers are inexperienced and do not know the safe way to proceed with a process but because there is a professional video showing cutting blanks with a table saw and not using a jig, I can do it to. None of us would want another to follow our methods and be injured, so we must use safe methods of demonstrating a process.

This is not a big criticism, just a suggestion that we should show safe practices when we demo.

Thanks.

studioso

BLACK MAGIC!

what kind of sorcery was that!?
seriously, very nice: video is very well made, top notch quality, I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it.
table saw scene did make hold my breath a bit, specially since you are gang cutting a few pieces together. also liked where the CA got on your finger!!

well done, thank you for letting us see it, good luck at the show!

brownsfn2

Will you be posting any more of these type of videos. I just watched this again and the CNC lathe part is just awesome. I could watch that all day!

Top Bottom