Unidentifid Wood Bowl for Aage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

A long time member of the Richmond Woodturners club, Aage, recently passed away much too soon. One of our other club members purchased Aage's lathe and other turning equipment before Aage passed. Aage gave him approximately fifty roughed out bowls that were ready for final turning. The roughed out bowls were distributed to club members with the idea that we would turn them and return the bowls to be sold to support an appropriate charity in Aage's memory. I picked one that had an interesting contour that was completely different from what I would typically turn. I tried to stay true to the rough contour and added some texturing since the contour had a large rim that seemed to invite some embellishment. The bowl is fairly shallow and is a little over 10" in diameter. At this point, it has one coat of satin WOP. I have no idea what king of wood this is but it has some beautiful grain. Probably not up to Aage's standards but I tried to do him proud.

1D247064-5CED-419B-9A90-62CD5D004C6E.jpg

99DCFE24-1138-41AE-AFA5-3BEB778C48B7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You finished it extremely well Cody. I agree that the shape is different, and to me that is wonderful. The embellishments fit in nicely for the profile, and I love the overall shape. And yes, the grain is very attractive.

That is a turning to be proud of! Thanks for sharing.

Super Dave

You did well, I'm sure Aage would be proud. I had a neighbor, Ernie, who gave me all of his roughed out bowls when poor health made him give up turning. He has since passed, and I still have them, I have not had the courage to finish them. I will finish them in his honor some day, when I feel confident he would be proud, I think you accomplished that.

Dave

Charlie_W

Super job on the bowl and embellishment. You did a wonderful job and I am sure he would definitely approve. Great that the club is doing these for charity!

Top Bottom