An unexpected find

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from campzeke

campzeke

I have been wanting to make a couple of thin blue line pens for a while and looking for material to segment into a solid black blank. While working in shop this morning I looked up on one of the shelves and there it was. A beautiful blue electrical box. I cut the sides off and glued up a scrap blank to see how it would turn and polish. Well, ... you tell me. C&C welcome.

Attachments

• TBL_1.jpg
    TBL_1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 298
  • TBL_2.jpg
    TBL_2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 320
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

The blue line has less sheen than the blank, but because the 'line' is narrow, that does not detract from the overall result. That is a nice shade of blue to use for this purpose. I have made TBL pens where I sandwiched the blue with even thinner aluminum, and that gave a nice result. Doing that does call for a top coat finish, such as CA to protect the Al from oxidation.

Is this one of those 'outside the box' things... outside the electric box, that is? :biggrin: :tongue:

campzeke

The blue line has less sheen than the blank, but because the 'line' is narrow, that does not detract from the overall result. That is a nice shade of blue to use for this purpose.

I agree Steve. I really like the color for a TBL pen. If I can find some harder acrylic sheet I will try that for a better overall shine. Until then, at less than 50 cents per box, this will be my go to material.

PapaTim

That's such a great idea. Although the sheen is lower on the blue line I think that just provides a bit more pop than if the sheen were higher. The combination of that shade of blue with the softer sheen makes it grab your eye first.

TonyL

Really nice! I am holding the very same blank in my hand right now. I am going to do the same. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom