Two Mills in Spalted Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

Thought y'all might want to see some mills in some pretty impressive spalted pecan. I wish I had an endless supply of this wood! Sanded to 1000, soaked with walnut oil and then 6 coats os Craft Coat.

Mike

Attachments

• Lora.jpg
    Lora.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 414
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thought y'all might want to see some mills in some pretty impressive spalted pecan. I wish I had an endless supply of this wood! Sanded to 1000, soaked with walnut oil and then 6 coats os Craft Coat.

Mike
Nice, I have some spalted Pecan and wondered what it will look like....I think I'll use a piece of it this week.

SDB777

Just ran out and checked my 'stash'.....whew, still out there!

Looking good! You selling them or keeping them?

Scott (some nice coinage) B

kyaggie

Thanks all for the great comments! With wood like this it's pretty easy to turn something that is really beautiful... the only thing I had to worry about was to not screw it up!

Scott, they are sold to a customer down in Texas.

Thanks again
Mike

Jim Smith

Beautiful job. The pepper mills look terrific, not just the beautiful wood, but I really like the shape and contours of them. One question though. Did you do anything to treat the inside of the pepper mills or will the pepper be up against the spalting wood? I considered making some out of spalted wood, but since spalting is caused by fungus, I was concerned that it could affect the pepper if it remains in contact with the bare spalted wood. Any thoughts...

Jim Smith

kyaggie

Jim,

When I use spalted or ambrosia wood for mills that is nice and dry I don't worry about it. With our personal ambrosia maple mills or spalted pecan mills that I have made for friends, it has not been a problem at all. I guess if you're worried about it you could coat the inside with some thin CA to seal things off.

Mike

Top Bottom