Two bowls off my new (used) lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

Took me a while to get my one way set up, It had been setting for about 2 years and when I turned it on no go. (where it was stored did not have 220 outlet to try it before I purchased it) It was a relay switch that was held open by a magnet well the magnet died. Ordered a part from Oneway in Canada and about 10 days later it came but when the electrician tried to put it in would not fit. Sent the part back and a retired Navy electrician build a switch that worked. So I am up and running. (Note Oneway was very helpful talked with me and the electrician many times so I do not blame them the part was 16 years old).
Any way a 13" cherry salad bowl and a large winged bowl made from mesquite root burl.
I feel I am blessed.

Attachments

• 1 cherry.JPG
    1 cherry.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 2 cherry.JPG
    2 cherry.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 1 mesquite bowl.JPG
    1 mesquite bowl.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 340
  • 2 mesquite bowl.JPG
    2 mesquite bowl.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'll join all those complimenting the mesquite burl... great piece.

I have a maple burl that I got from a fellow at one of my shows that he wanted me to turn... hesitating starting because not sure of a design, but after seeing you bowl, think I might try something along that line... love the abstract look of it.

How is it finished?

jjjaworski

Nice work. Great looking bowls.

I have been using a Oneway 1012 for years and know you will love your OneWay lathe. I wish I had not had to dip into my lathe fund when we built our house so I could have gotten a larger one but this has served me well.

eranox

Whoa! That mesquite bowl might be the nicest I've seen. I'd be thrilled to make something half that good. Well done on both counts!

triw51

I'll join all those complimenting the mesquite burl... great piece.

I have a maple burl that I got from a fellow at one of my shows that he wanted me to turn... hesitating starting because not sure of a design, but after seeing you bowl, think I might try something along that line... love the abstract look of it.

How is it finished?

I used Howard's Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner, The first application was sucked up fast (the root was old and dry), I did 3 applications adding extra to areas that were still dry. let it set for a few days then added a layer of Howard's citrus paste wax. I like the look of natural wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom