Turning Station

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I have two lathes and alternate using them depending on what I am working on. I am constantly going back and forth to get my turning tools. I decided to build a rolling station for my gouges, sand paper, finishing stuff, etc. Someone posted a photo of a gouge rack made with pvc pipe so I "borrowed" the idea and put a bundle of pipe sections on a lazy Susan swivel. The next step will be to hang calipers, face plates, etc on the sides. I made it narrow due to limited space and was concerned about it being top heavy but it is surprisingly stable.

IMG_0296.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Looks good! Nice that you don't have to bend for your chisels......do watch your head when going for the sandpaper :eek:
What is that tall blade sticking up...looks like an 18" scraper beyond the handle?

PS: you need more Thompson Tools in that rack:biggrin:

Cwalker935

Looks good! Nice that you don't have to bend for your chisels......do watch your head when going for the sandpaper :eek:
What is that tall blade sticking up...looks like an 18" scraper beyond the handle?

PS: you need more Thompson Tools in that rack:biggrin:

The tall one is a big hollowing tool and yes I do need more Thompson tools.

Woodchipper

Dangerous, IMHO. Good idea but could be improved. Put foam rubber or something in the bottom of the PVC to protect the edges and put them with the sharp edges down. Looking at it for my turning area. I do thank you for sharing the info and the photo.
Info? Photo? I made a rhyme!!!!

I like the lazy suzan idea... I used the PVC pipes in my mobile tool stand...but didn't think about the turn table.... I have a few more tools than you show though, so the turn table might have to be larger...

This is my tool stand... and it is a little top heavy, so I have to be careful when I move it. The picture doesn't show the lower portion... just straight legs to cross feet on small castors.

Attachments

• misc-012-e1365903465304.jpg
    misc-012-e1365903465304.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 216

Woodster Will

There are not enough bandaids to cover the wounds I would suffer from those sharp tools, I would have to turn them over Clever holder though and most convenient.

Peter.

Agreed Peter. The rack I made for my tools makes them far less easy to recognise but at least the sharp edges are all facing downwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Top Bottom