Turning a Lidded Capsule Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FourOaksCrafts

I recently started making these small lidded boxes. These are fun to make and you get to use a lot of turning techniques. Getting the correct friction fit was probably the most challenging part. I made these out of cherry. Walnut and maple are some other good choices. I also created a video for those who are interested:

Turning a Lidded Box Video

Please share any feedback on your experience with making these. Thanks!

Attachments

• Turning a Lidded Box.jpg
    Turning a Lidded Box.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_7740.jpg
    IMG_7740.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Outstanding as one of the best videos I've seen. No bragging, no show-boating, just the facts demonstrating great techniques. Much of it was new to me so I'm heanding to my shop to try.

Thank you very much
Regis

flyitfast

Great video! I like it that you give a good view of how the tool is presented to the wood.
Also, thanks for the tip for sanding endgrain with the oil/wax mixture.
Good reinforcement for me, seeing someone else making a box in the same sequence/technique as I've been doing.
Good job, nice box.
Gordon

TonyL

This was excellent Steve. Thank you. I thought it was well-edited; excellent angles, resolution, instruction - I even liked the background music. It encouraged me to give it a try. What were the dimension of the unturned stock, please. Thank you.

This was excellent Steve. Thank you. I thought it was well-edited; excellent angles, resolution, instruction - I even liked the background music. It encouraged me to give it a try. What were the dimension of the unturned stock, please. Thank you.

Tony -- I'm almost positive it was 3 inch by 3 inch by 6 inch long. I probably should have put that in the video. Thanks for asking that question!

Woodchipper

Excellent video. The camera work was outstanding! I have seen some on Youtube where the camera was used as a baton to conduct a symphony orchestra. The background music was pleasant but not distracting, to me, anyway. Thanks for posting it. BTW, I saved it as a Favorite. Trust that is OK with you?
What gouge did you use for the inside of the lid and box? Bowl gouge? What exactly did you finish it with?

Excellent video. The camera work was outstanding! I have seen some on Youtube where the camera was used as a baton to conduct a symphony orchestra. The background music was pleasant but not distracting, to me, anyway. Thanks for posting it. BTW, I saved it as a Favorite. Trust that is OK with you?
What gouge did you use for the inside of the lid and box? Bowl gouge? What exactly did you finish it with?

I tried using my 3/8 bowl gouge but it was a little too big, so I used a small spindle gouge to hollow out the bowl area. Then a scraper to finish the bowl. The scraper is also used for the lid's inside to get that 90 degree fit with the bottom half. I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Feel free to share it or save it to your favorites.

TonyL

Thx. I may also make the bird house using pocket jig screw hole. What are the makes the tools that you used making the box please?

Thx. I may also make the bird house using pocket jig screw hole. What are the makes the tools that you used making the box please?

Tony ... Are you referring to my blue bird house? For those, I used wood glue and my Ryobi nail gun to put those together. You could use the pocket hole jig as well or just regular wood screws and butt joints.

Wood screws will probably hold it together longer, although I've bought birdhouses that were assembled with the nail gun and they have lasted for years also.

Cedar is a good wood of choice if you don't plan to paint or seal the birdhouse.

Top Bottom