Turning with Flair......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

...No, not Rick Flair :eek:.....Turning with Flare is where we are going today!

This is a bowl which I turned a couple months ago from some fresh green cherry.
I started out just roughing it out to be finish turned later but was having too much fun so I just kept going and ended up with a green to finish bowl in one turning. As you can see, the rim has really moved as it dried.

It is just under 12" diameter and 7" tall. The flared rim is 3/32" thick and increases to 3/16" down the side where it curves into the bottom. I left the bottom a little thick just for some weight.
Finish: Originally sanded with walnut oil but re-sanded after a couple weeks and had a couple of coats of some Danish Oil Finish.
I kept it in a paper bag for about a month while it was moving just to slow down the drying....so far, no cracks!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpg
    IMG_2892.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

THat came out very, very nice. I think turning it to final shape and letting it warp was the right way to do it.

What do you use to carve your name and other info on the bottom?

Charlie_W

That's really really nice! How did you chuck it to finish the bottom when its that thin?

On this one, I jam chucked it with the tailstock against a turned scrap piece in a chuck. Turned the tenon away, shaped the foot and then off the lathe, used a Dremel with a cut off blade to nip off the button, then sanded bottom.

Had the top rim been thicker, I would have used my Longworth chuck.

Charlie_W

THat came out very, very nice. I think turning it to final shape and letting it warp was the right way to do it.

What do you use to carve your name and other info on the bottom?

Jim, My Wonderful Wifey is my signer and uses one of her her pyrography pens.

Charlie_W

I can't find the words for my reaction to that piece, but this video captures the spirit of it pretty well......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSofokAIiw

Derek! That video is hilarious!.....Ric is inbolded (sp?) with over-confidence! I didn't want to watch much but it is captivating and I watched the whole video!:eek::biggrin:

So,...I guess you are saying the bowl is......bold and captivating!....thanks!...I think!:biggrin:

Edit: Or maybe you were going for Warped!

Last edited:
Top Bottom