Turned Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

I've begun branching out (pun intended) and started turning a few other things beside pens. Here's my first attempt at a turned box. It is of olive wood. The stock was 2"x2"x6" with the turned size being about 1 1/2"x5". It had a lot of cracks, but filled in well and sure smelled good when working the stock. Comments, thoughts, critiques are welcome. Regards, Rob

20071302339_olivebox.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wikipedia (not always the best reference) defines a box as
Boxes are highly variable receptacles. When no shape is described, a typical rectangular box may be expected. Nevertheless, a box may have a horizontal cross section that is square, elongated, round or oval; sloped or domed top surfaces, or non-vertical sides. A box normally may be opened by raising, sliding or removing the lid, which may be hinged and/or fastened by a catch, clasp, or lock. Whatever its shape or purpose or the material of which it is fashioned, it is the direct descendant of the chest, one of the most ancient articles of domestic furniture. Its uses are innumerable, and the name, preceded by a qualifying adjective, has been given to many objects of artistic or antiquarian interest.

In the second sentence, I believe they need to change the word "rectangular" to "cuboid" (or better yet, a rectangular parallelpiped) for the sake of accuracy, but that's just my opinion. [8D]

its_virgil

I think most people know rectangular but not cuboid and even fewer would know (rectangular) parallelpiped, unless they listened and retained their high school geometry.[B)]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Wikipedia (not always the best reference) defines a box as
Boxes are highly variable receptacles. When no shape is described, a typical rectangular box may be expected. Nevertheless, a box may have a horizontal cross section that is square, elongated, round or oval; sloped or domed top surfaces, or non-vertical sides. A box normally may be opened by raising, sliding or removing the lid, which may be hinged and/or fastened by a catch, clasp, or lock. Whatever its shape or purpose or the material of which it is fashioned, it is the direct descendant of the chest, one of the most ancient articles of domestic furniture. Its uses are innumerable, and the name, preceded by a qualifying adjective, has been given to many objects of artistic or antiquarian interest.

In the second sentence, I believe they need to change the word "rectangular" to "cuboid" (or better yet, a rectangular parallelpiped) for the sake of accuracy, but that's just my opinion. [8D]

its_virgil

Nice box Rob...very nice!. Did turning that olive wood make you hungry for pizza?
aDo a good turn daily!
Don
\
Originally posted by Rob
<br />I've begun branching out (pun intended) and started turning a few other things beside pens. Here's my first attempt at a turned box. It is of olive wood. The stock was 2"x2"x6" with the turned size being about 1 1/2"x5". It had a lot of cracks, but filled in well and sure smelled good when working the stock. Comments, thoughts, critiques are welcome. Regards, Rob

20071302339_olivebox.jpg
<br />

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I think most people know rectangular but not cuboid and even fewer would know (rectangular) parallelpiped, unless they listened and retained their high school geometry.[B)]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Whyyyyyyy did you have to go and ruin it for me Don? I put that reference in their just for you! [:D]

Rob

Thanks for the kind words all. I was pretty pleased with how it came out. Don, I'm not sure about it reminding me of pizza, but it did bring back fond memories of my visits to Livorno Italy. Seemed like there was always the smell of olive in the air. Oh and Lou, I have to agree with Gary. I don't post very often, but read daily and do get tickled by some of your postings.

Regards, Rob

Rob

Hiram,

As I began to turn it to it's final shape, the areas that were cracked and a bit pithy were stablized with thin CA. Those areas absorbed the CA pretty well. I didn't try to fill them so the surface was completely smooth, just made sure that as I sanded it that I got all the dust out before finishing. All in all it worked out fairly well. I've made a number of pens from olive and find it to be very workable compared to some other materials. Thanks for looking and thanks for asking.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom