Trophy/Medal Racks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

My daughter and her two boys (ages 8 and 10) participate in road races together, usually 1K, 5K or 10K, but usually she works in a couple of half marathons a year as well. Traditionally they get medals on lanyards for placing in the top three runners in the races, but occasionally the boys will get a trophy if they win. I thought that they might like to display their hard-earned medals so, I made each of them a personalized trophy/medal racks. The quote is from a speech given by arguably the greatest statesman of the 20th century Winston Churchill when he gave his state of the nation speech right in the middle of WWII. The wood is full one-inch thick red oak that I salvaged from an old kitchen table I picked up at Good will. Beautiful wood and I used different stains to give each rack a different look. Anyway, I thought I'd share photos of two of the racks with folks in case anyone has a similar project in mind.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Very nice! They be greatly appreciated.

I made something similar for my grandsons a couple years ago. I visited last week and found that I didn't make them nearly big enough, they are overflowing. Time for a redesign! :)

Jim Smith

Thank you for the kind words. Chuck, You are right, grandkids are the best. They're much more fun than your own kids.

MarkD, I know what you mean. I agonized on how large to make them. These are 30 inches long and since they're made out of 1 inch thick oak, they already weigh quite a bit. I designed them so I can put eye hooks to add another rack of just knobs underneath in case the have that problem. I'll have to make sure that they place the hangers directly into studs to support the weight.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom