TRON Glow-in-the-Dark Disc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

0T49E4fl.png

The turning was pretty simple, it is just a 10" maple blank turned into a Frisbee shape.

I cut 5 grooves in the disc with a 1/8 bench chisel, and sanded the whole thing smooth.

The fun was in the powder. I mixed up some glow-in-the-dark powder in epoxy and poured it in the grooves.

NhEXtc1l.png

After it dried, I sanded it flush again and finished it with shellac.
IIcnttDl.png

Charged it in the sunlight and then turned off all the lights!
3GDSlaVl.png

I'm making it again, this time with food coloring mixed into the epoxy. I'm hoping for something a bit more interesting to look at in the daytime..
mhPyf85l.png

How To Make A TRON Data Disc - YouTube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I never saw blue glow in the dark, a very nice blue, indeed...!

Well, my experience with glow in the dark powders is that, you can't really mix anything with it otherwise, it loses most of the glow.

I have had some bad results with any mixes I made, only the straight glow powder produces good results, for me, off-course.

There may be other glow in the dark powders that act differently with other colourants, the one I use, expensive as hell, doesn't like anything mixed with it...!

Looking forwards to see the result of the added colour...!

Cheers
George

eranox

I play a lot of disc golf, and I've thought about making something like this a few times. Of course, that's a lot of work for something that will probably crack in half the first time I hit a tree!

Great looking project!

CrimsonKeel

I play a lot of disc golf, and I've thought about making something like this a few times. Of course, that's a lot of work for something that will probably crack in half the first time I hit a tree!

Great looking project!

simple solution for that is don't hit a tree.

Top Bottom