Treid out my Wire Burner on a Stopper today. - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Treid out my Wire Burner on a Stopper today.

So I've been wanting to make a wire burner and finally stopped at the music store yesterday and picked up a couple guitar strings. I had a piece of 1" dowel rod so I threw it together. I had a Bottle Stopper blank ready to turn so I thought I would turn it today and try out the burner. It did pretty good. The Bottle Stopper was done in ZebraWood. I attached a pic of the burner in case anyone wants to make one.
Attached Thumbnails
wire-burner.jpg   6-zebrawood-2-9-19-2.jpg   6-zebrawood-2-9-19.jpg  
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 484

Very nice affect Bobby. Well done.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

That's a very cool technique even to apply to a pen for added grip. I hate the rubber grips on pens. The rubber grips take away from the wood or material.
Nice work on the stoppers.
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Ripper View Post
That's a very cool technique even to apply to a pen for added grip. I hate the rubber grips on pens. The rubber grips take away from the wood or material.
You must be talking about the comfort pen kits? I don't even use those rubber grips. I turn the pen all the way down to the bushing and leave the grips off. I don't like those things either. I do like the shape of the comfort kit though.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
Quote:
You must be talking about the comfort pen kits? I don't even use those rubber grips. I turn the pen all the way down to the bushing and leave the grips off. I don't like those things either. I do like the shape of the comfort kit though.
Yes, exactly!
I have a request for a comfort pen and mechanical pencil set without the rubber grip. I'm thinking of using the same accent as you did on your bottle stoppers near the nib.
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
Quote:
Yes, exactly!
I have a request for a comfort pen and mechanical pencil set without the rubber grip. I'm thinking of using the same accent as you did on your bottle stoppers near the nib.
Go easy on the comfort pen. I've got a customer in Hawaii who orders 6-10 a month and seems to not be able to keep them in stock. I know someone with MS and at times has a lot of pain in their hands/fingers. I made her one and she loves it as the slight cushion of the rubber makes it easier for her to write with. There is a place for comfort pens. So as not to waste wood, I cut the lower blank shorter so I only have a short piece to turn off.
Nice job Bobby. What size wire did you use. I've sure there's a musical string key but I'm not musical.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf creek knives View Post

Go easy on the comfort pen. I've got a customer in Hawaii who orders 6-10 a month and seems to not be able to keep them in stock. I know someone with MS and at times has a lot of pain in their hands/fingers. I made her one and she loves it as the slight cushion of the rubber makes it easier for her to write with. There is a place for comfort pens. So as not to waste wood, I cut the lower blank shorter so I only have a short piece to turn off.
Nice job Bobby. What size wire did you use. I've sure there's a musical string key but I'm not musical.
I got a D & G string. I used the D string on the stopper. The G string isn't wound and the D string on up are wound strings. Wasn't sure if the wound strings would get too hot and break. It didn't. Lol

Last edited by bsshog40; 02-10-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I would be careful carrying it in your car, might be mistaken as a garrote. I could see myself pleading with the police that itís really meant for burning rings in wood.

Very innovative, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post
I would be careful carrying it in your car, might be mistaken as a garrote. I could see myself pleading with the police that itís really meant for burning rings in wood.

He is in Midland Texas, the cops wouldn't look twice at that burner, most of those guys carry guns.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post

Well the string is only 9" long so they would have to have a pretty small neck. Lol
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads