Tree Spirit Carving- and IAP member generosity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

underdog

One day I was stuck running our CNC router, with nothing to do but change sheets of material and watch it run...

I just happened to have this chunk of alder and a sharp blade in the Stanley utility knife... so I sketched a preliminary face, and started carving. At the end of the day, I liked it so well, I wound up taking it home and carving on the porch. When it got dark, took it up to the shop, where the wife had to call me at 9:30 to come in and get ready for bed... And even then I couldn't stop.

The first pic shows it sitting on the counter in the bathroom without any eyes. And yes I carved those eyes about 10:30-11:30PM over the sink... :eek:

The next ones show it on the desk at work...

I showed it to RoJo22 the other day at the Gainesville woodturning symposium, and the next day he gave me a whole carving starter kit with two knives, carving glove, thumb guard, several pieces of basswood (some roughed out), and several patterns. He musta thought I needed some real carving knives.. :biggrin:

What a very kind thing to do!

Thank you Robert!

Attachments

• Tree Spirit 001 small.jpg
    Tree Spirit 001 small.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,882
  • Tree Spirit 002 small.jpg
    Tree Spirit 002 small.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 26,843
  • Tree Spirit 003 small.jpg
    Tree Spirit 003 small.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4,872
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

Thanks guys...

Whittling isn't a new thing for me, since I've carried a pocket knife ever since I was old enough to cut my fingers with one.:eek:

But, I've always wanted to carve one of these things, and finally had the urge and the opportunity at the same time...

D.Oliver

Wow if you can do that with a utility knife I can't wait to see what you can do with a set of carving tools! I've seen those made from cottonwood bark in my area but I don't think I've seen any quite as good as yours.

underdog

The eyes were a little tricky. That's one reason I put it off til last. I was afraid I was going to screw it up. As it was, they were so small that the ute knife was having a hard time getting in there. And the wood was quite "chippy" on the end grain... But that Alder carved surprisingly well...

I haven't had a chance to use the new knives yet... too busy getting ready for a pen demo - The way I look at it, I'll share my failure or success in getting a good CA finish... The least I can do is serve as an object lesson in what NOT to do... :tongue:

Top Bottom