Took a class earlier this year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rojo22

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I took a class this year with Carol Jean Boyd. I do a few large carvings a year like this one, but I will tell ya, I have never been able to capture a face like this before. The class was a fun class, and it was a great way to explore a new medium, and a new subject. She was a great instructor! This is a cypress knee that was carved using both power and hand tools. The finish is a very light coat of oil and acrylic paints, along with deft as a top coat. The cypress knee is 17.5 inches tall.

Attachments

• Cypress Knee SM.jpg
    Cypress Knee SM.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Rojo where did you take the class at? Somewhere here around Atlanta.

The class was held by the Atlanta Woodcarving Club. We asked Carol Jean Boyd to come in and do a class, and we asked all of the carving clubs here in Atlanta, if they had folks who would like to participate. It is a good way to get a premier carver to give a class that is affordable for the average folks like myself. With 10 participants it came to like $150 bucks for 3 very full days of instruction. You would be surprised where she has done classes, and travels all over the country with club invites, and scheduled events. Check out her book or google her for contact information.

Carol Jean Boyd has a book out on how to carve cypress knees, and the book is really well done. I have yet to come into my "carving talent", so if I can do it, anyone can do it. The name of the book is Carving Cypress Knees, by Carol Jean Boyd, and its by Fox Chapel Publishing, and the ISBN number is: 1-56523-271-2.

If anyone is interested in carving, we have a club that meets in Decatur on the second Tuesday of every month. We have a good core of members, and we always do a project each month, and help get folks involved from being a master carver to a very beginer. Send me an email, and I will get you more details, or you can visit the website at: www.atlantawoodcarvers.com

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Last edited:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I just received an email from a member of my carving club updating the awards for the International Perry Georgia fair. I entered this cypress knee in the Assisted Class, and not only did it win a first place blue ribbon, it also won an Excellence award for the entire show! Will post pictures soon.

Boomer

I think carving is really neat and would like to try it but there is not enough time now for the current hobbies. I can't even think of starting another one. Nice job

Last edited:

nava1uni

Very nice carving. I have some Cypress knees that I bought just before I think that they are really cool. They remind me of misty mountains in China. Your gnome is very well done.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
That is fantastic, and the award is well deserved.

I guess I should have realized that the carving world has its traveling stars just like the turning world does. If turning clubs near me can book the likes of Richard Raffan and Jimmy Clews, I imagine that their equivalents in the carving world go on tour as well.

Top Bottom