Thin Wall Bowl Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Recently, Wifey found that Binh Pho was doing a weekend workshop at Marc Adams on thin wall bowl turning. There was still an opening so I signed up.
Marc Adams School of Woodworking is a fantastic learning center! Two thumbs up!
Binh taught us his techniques for turning 1/16" thin bowls using a light!
Very cool! This was some green/wet persimmon that was provided for the group. I have left the nubbin on as these will go back on the lathe to true up the foot and be sanded on the outside.
You can see one had some cracks but I still succeeded in getting it turned even though it was opening up while turning. Some blue tape held it together.
One was a little thick at 3/32". I will do better next time! These range in size from 5" to 8".
Binh is an excellent teacher and just a wonderful guy.
Check out Marc Adams online catalog of classes. There is something there for everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Those are really cool Charlie, I guess they will distort as they dry, creating some wonderful results.
We are never too young to learn new stuff, Hey.

Bob

Yes Bob, we started the drying process with a microwave and the bowls really moved initially. They have relaxed now and may be about done morphing to their new shapes.
This wood is rather bland but will be great for future embellishment techniques.
Wifey will take the lead on the embellishment design and implementation.

Top Bottom