Thanks to Dieseldoc...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

This may end up as a longs post, but I have met someone who epitomizes the best of the tradition and purpose of this forum.

Through the forum, I met Dieseldoc (AKA Charlie), who lives here is Livermore. He has been turning for 40 years, and his skill is amazing. He came to my house, and looked at what I have turned and suggested very kindly that I might turn bowls that were thinner. Until now, that kind of scared and intimidated me.

I brought my turning mentor to visit Charlie at his house to see his shop and to see more of what he turns. WOW! Segmented bowls that blew my mind, jigs, goblets, boxes, more bowls, ....just plain amazing. He gave my friend and I a rough turned bowl and asked us to finish turning them. The pictures attached are of mine, a Big Leaf Maple with beautiful character. It will occupy a prominent place in my home. As Charlie suggested, the process has elevated my capability and given me confidence. I took it over to his house yesterday and he was pleased with what I had done. He gave me more rough turned bowls to finish and lots of wood to make bowls from scratch, as well as a lot of pen boxes to put my finished pens into.

This is an amazing brotherhood/sisterhood of amazing people. I hope someday to be able to give back to the community the way that Charlie has.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Morning here Warren,early am. I read of your experiences and they exemplify the real advantages of contact with others in woodwork, thanks for sharing and showing.

Kind regards mate.

Peter.

Woodchipper

Thanks for the story. It is good to know that there are people who are willing to guide us newbies in the right direction.
My complements to the Dieseldoc! :highfive:

SteveAxelrod

That's one beautiful piece of wood and the workmanship, turning and finish, is top notch! We are indeed fortunate to be part of a wonderful community of talented and sharing craftsmen.

Top Bottom