teaser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

Remember we had a real bad ice storm this past December. Lots of tree work going on now that the temps are a bit better.

So I'm driving to town last Friday. I'm on a road I usually travel. I see these 2 guys taking down a REALLY BIG pine (not spruce, not fir) tree in a front yard. One guy 30 feet up, one guy on the ground. I stop. "Hi. What are you going to do with the wood?" "Oh, cut it up for firewood" "Hmmm. Any way I could wrangle some? I'm a wannabe wood turner - you know, bowls and stuff" "Well, I don't know, uhhhhh" "How about I make you a bowl and I get some for myself?" "OK"

So it turns out the tree was planted by the homeowner (guy #3 who shows up). Planted one tree for each of his 3 kids. Hmmm. Looks like a 3rd bowl is in order. All 3 of them are real good folk. Guy #1 even splits the sections in half and drops them off at my shop! Class act.

SO for the past 4 days I have been turning BAPB's (that's Big A** Pine Bowls). Got 4 roughed out and drying so far. Three significant observations:
1 - Wow, big wood blanks are HEAVY! My back is killing me! Just getting the blank ready to go on the lathe is an athletic event.
2 - Turning something that big (I have a 16" swing on my big lathe) is an adrenaline rush.
3 - On each bowl so far I get about halfway through the roughing and I'm standing there, drenched, ankle deep in curly shavings and smiling like a madman. Is it right for a human to have this much fun?

Like I said in the header, this is a tease. The 4 so far are about 15" in diameter, the walls are about 1 1/2" thick and they're wrapped in newspaper, slowly drying. Not very photogenic. In 6 months or so I'll finish turn them and post some pics (I hope). Stay tuned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wayne - Thanks!

Isak - Oh ye of little faith!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 151

MarkD

Turning green wood is a blast. Just make sure you clean up all the water that came from the turning of the green wood. It tends to turn your tools a rust color!
You can also turn the green wood to finished size and put them in a paper bag to dry. If you keep the walls the same thickness they will dry to a nice oval shape!

Last edited:

SDB777

Surely those bowl blanks lost some weight....and in a hurry too! Just be thankful the BAP bowl blanks weren't BASRO bowl blanks(SRO=Southern Red Oak)!!!

What kind of dimensions did you end up with?
What are you going to end up finishing them with?

Looks like fun, wish my BAL(L=lathe) would show up...dang UPS not doing their job right.

Scott (put my lathe on the wrong truck) B

Top Bottom