Teapot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

This was my entry for the monthly challenge. The body of the teapot is one piece of wood and was turned on multiple axes with 5 separate turning surfaces. For orientation, I consider the spout as the front of my piece. I started by cutting a section stripe off of the top of the blank and them off the front of the blank leaving a section jutting out for the spout. I then cut off the three corners (excluding the spout area as the 4th corner) off at 45 degree angles. I saved the cutoffs to use for my top. I then mounted the piece between centers with the turning axis running through the centerline of the spout and turned the spout to shape. I then remounted the piece between centers and turned the left side of the piece (it was mounted off center so that the base of the piece would be wider when looking at the piece from the side. I rounded the side over as much as possible without cutting into the spout . I then flipped the piece around and turned the right side of the piece on the same axis as used for the left side. II then remounted the piece using a worm screw in the to and turned a mounting tenon on the bottom and turned off the areas below the spout that I could not get to from the sides. I then remounted the piece using the bottom tenon and hollowed it and turned off the areas above the spout that I could not get to from the sides. Finally I drilled a hole through the spout, sanded off the bottom tenon and mounting surfaces for the sides, textured and painted the piece using metal effects paint. I forged the handle and colored it with gun bluing.

7C45B9D5-427B-4F86-B31E-D19797731A53.jpg

2A23B723-D11A-460A-99FA-BD4340C5E240.jpg

53CF9C48-08BE-4B86-99DE-73AD403CE2F6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Huge Congrats on this turning Cody!! This was a complex piece with the multiple mountings and "seeing" the finished tea pot within the blank and executing each step in the process. Great that you could forge the handle and excellent call on using the metal reactive paint!

leehljp

Member Liaison
You taught me something with this. I could have only imagined it but seeing it is as a reality is awesome! I didn't know about that kind of paint either. I must look it up!

Thanks for sharing this.

Top Bottom